cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The Troubleshooter

Emailing a teacher to give you some sense of preparation was a great step @j95, have they been able to help you out?

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

they havent responded I'm hoping to jc that they're in alice springs the weekend i plan on arriving cause looks like that will be my only way there @letitgo
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@Ben-RO highfived my posts which reminded me - I've been talking to the people at the school a bit who said they are happy to make some arrangements with me I just have to let them know when

Does anyone know of there would be any like say grants available to me for this?

https://www.communitygrants.gov.au/grants
Check out this page @j95 has lots of info on grants.
You could also just google 'grants' and it comes up with lots of similar pages, Australia Post also does lots of grants.
I know I could I could be better
-The Devil Wears Prada

Thanks @redhead my only worry is are grants only for like things that will help someone else? Like a community group or something

can't find anything applicable to me unfortunately

Hey @j95 You're right, grants are to help people, but that just means you're the person they're helping.

My suggestion would be to start calling some ATSI services in the area and see whether there are any services helping young Indigenous people get to see where their people are from. It's not hard to imagine that it might exist. Sometimes it's just about how you frame it.

Like "I want a free holiday" or "I'm a young Aboriginal man living in an urban setting who has experienced a lot of hardship but has overcome it all and now I'm wanting to access support to get back to my roots to learn about the remote area I come from and what my history is."

Take some time, keep calling and asking. It's worth it. 

And, at the same time, you could set up a Kickstarter page. and look for funding there.

I guess my view is that if I had to pay for 2 x ten hour taxi rides then I would not cope with stuff going wrong after that. I would feel so stretched by the cost that I would need everything to work out perfectly or I would be overwhelmingly disappointed.

I would feel so much more chilled if I was financially supported or subsidised because then, no matter what happens, it'll still be worth it because it's a trip away.

Do you relate?

Yeah wow totally that's awesome @Ngaio-RO thanks so much. And it's flights too like, flights to Alice Springs are not cheap, definitely not $49 like Melbourne to Sydney or something. I can kind of organise transport from airport, I have been emailing a teacher who might be able to help me but if they cant I would have no other choice do the 10 hour taxi trip which would suck. But yeah including that, flights and stuff that I need I'm up for quite a cost so a grant would be really helpful. I'll have a look into that and and Kickstarter, is kickstarter like gofundme?

Kickstart looks like more actually doing something or a project, way more suitable than GoFundMe or similar
Announcements
Share what's on your mind:
Head here and click "start a topic"

Not sure where to start?:
Head here and say hi!
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 150 guests
Please welcome our newest community members:
Top High Fived Authors