cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The heats making my depression bad

All this advice ppl have given me abt better sleep would work if I actually could sleep but it hasnt gotten under 20 degrees in three days and I have no aircon in my room and I dunno how to fucntion when I cant sleep at all, and its 25 by the time I get up.

Anonymous

Hello there @trashconverters, my name is Matty D, and I wish you a very warm welcome to RO. I’m sorry to hear you’ve had really crappy, restless nights, it has been really hot and humid these past few days. In regards to sleeping in the heat, maybe you could try wrapping some ice (if your house has any) in a cloth or rag and keep it on your body before you go to bed or if you wake up feeling hot and sweaty in the night? I’ve tried that a few times before and that helped me when I was overheated. Speaking of which, I’m heading up to Lake Eildon on Australia Day Friday, I’m staying at my dad’s sister’s holiday house for 2 nights, and their summer is pretty hot too for the most part - in fact, on Saturday, we’re all gonna go on her speedboat out on the water, and it’s tipped to reach 39 degrees on that day!

Highlighted

Hey @trashconverters, I know how you feel with the heat. Once it reaches 35-ish my brain cannot function at all, I'm basically just a sentient blob. I put my mattress in the lounge room in front of the air con and slept there the past few nights. Is that an option for you? I also have a spray bottle with cool water next to me, and give myself a spray every now and then to cool down. Cold showers are a nice short-term relief, sometimes I take 3 or 4 quick ones per day. Ice packs are also good, but they can be a bit *too* cold so wrap them in a teatowel and just rest one on your shoulders. Another trick I use is to wet a teatowel, wring it out a bit and put it in the freezer for an hour. Then I have a cold towel for my forehead. When I had a pedestal fan in my room, I put a bucket of ice water in front of it, so the fan would blow cool air rather than just moving hot air around. There are some interesting "hillbilly air con" ideas online, but I don't recommend anything where water could drip onto electrical items. I hope some of these things can bring temporary relief from the heat! 

Today's forecast was a max of 32. It exceeded 32 by 10AM, and has reached 39. This is apocalyptic I've never felt so unnerved and hopeless in my life.

Like there is no time where i can feasibly do things. I havent taken my anti-ds in five days bc ive run out and its been too hot to go to the chemist, bc going outside is gunna trigger a panic attack. I'm not okay but there's absolutely nothing I can do about it and there's no sign its gunna cool down any time soon so I can just feel like a normal human and not want to die.

Hi @trashconverters I'm really sorry to hear that the heat is affecting you in this way. I've never really liked the extremely hot days either, so I can totally understand why you are avoiding going outside. My one and only trick I can suggest to help you stay cool is to dampen a washcloth or rag, stick it in the freezer for 20mins, and then apply to the back of your neck.

I'm worried to hear that you've run-out of your medication, and therefore aren't taking it at the moment. Is there perhaps a late night pharmacy near you that you could visit in the evening (when you can at least avoid the eat of the sun)?

If that isn't a possibility, do you have a friend, family member or housemate who you could ask to pick up the medication for you? (your prescriptions should have a space for you to sign to allow this)?

Let us know how you're going, and please remember to stay hydrated in the heat (lots of cool water should help you feel better).

I live in a country town and our chemist's close at five. With my parents out of the house I'm all alone rn.

Luckily I got the first burst of energy in days and managed to head to the chemist without a panic attack, but now I'm feeling antsy again. I'm thinking of asking my aunt to stay w her for a couple of days, bc she's in Melbourne where it's not so bad, but I dunno how she'll take it.

Hey @trashconverters well done on getting to the chemist without a panic attack - that's awesome. Are you worried your Aunt won't be keen for you to stay? We're here to listen.