cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Therapy

I've decided to re-engage with a therapist. But as you only get 10 sessions I don't know what should be the focus of those sessions or what kind of therapy to do.

What I'm trying to figure out. Should i focus on
-dbt skills
-cbt
- reducing self harm
-gender identity
-coping with psychosis
-safety planning and suicidal management
- interpersonal relationship/family
-self esteem

I want to be really clear with the therapist about why I'm there and what I want to work on and have clear boundaries because I have a lot of issues and but limited resources and want to make the most out of it.

It would be cool if we could brain storm and help me figure out this by next week when I see my gp to get a referral
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Re: Therapy

hey @redhead - first of all, amazing thread! Thanks for making it. I think it could be a good idea to hone in on something specific because as i'm sure you know they will be linked in some ways so maybe the best approach would be to think about which of those points would have the most impact.

From what I can see, there are two categories.

1. Skills and strategies - dbt skills, cbt, reducing SH, coping wih psychosis, safety planning/suicide management

2. Tackling personal challenges and building resilience - gender identity, interpersonal relationship, self-esteem

Does it help to think about it like this or does it simplify it too much? I think there are lots of different ways you could tackle it.

Hope i haven't confused you too much. Let me know what you think and maybe we can keep brainstorming?

Hello redhead! Long time no speak... I just saw this and thought I would jump in...

Would it help to think about things in terms of what would help the most? Or on the flip side, what's affecting you the most?

Another question might be - would any of those things help address some of the others? (For example, DBT might help with both SH and suicidal ideation)

Also, might be worth thinking about what things you could address in another way?
For example you might be able to access extra services around gender identity? Q Life can probably point you in the right direction, or there is also this brand new directory (it's in "beta" and not heaps in it yet) called the RAD Australia directory where LGBTQ+ young people can suggest practitioners and services where they had a good experience.
Search your area here: https://www.radaustralia.org.au/

Good on you for starting this thread by the way, a great idea

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@steath_ninja I like those categories but still want to focus only on one area. I think the first category is probably most important and safety is concerned , but second has a big impact and causes the first.

@Sophie-RO I see what your saying. Dbt would probably help the most but atm psychosis is probably the thing getting to me the most. I have seen a few people recently about my gender identity and soon going to be in the process of seeing medical professional about that (tho there is a really long waiting list so it could be like 6 months) I can also get help with self harm and suicidal idealisation from my case manager but we don't focus on it through a therapy mindset.

I really don't know what to do.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire

eek! I hope my Qs didn't make it more confusing!!

Another way to approach might be, instead of trying to pick one of all that long list of important things, is there one you can remove as a first step?

Either way, you've got time to brainstorm and that's exactly why you started this thread.

Good luck!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

im really glad you have decide to re engage in therapy @redhead

i think suicidal thoughts and self harm can be put together to form a great safety plan.. what do you think?

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

@scared01 I already have a fairly detailed safety plan I worked on with my case manager. Though tbh I dont always use it.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire

neither do i @redhead

im glad you get a detailed one- maybe you could jsut get your therapist to go over it in one session or half a session and add edit as you need to then work on something else

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Highlighted

Hmm well I think you're doing all the right things to try and figure out what to do  @redhead so lets keep brainstorming and see what we can come up with. 

Is psychosis what's effecting you the most day-to-day?

@Stealth_ninja yeah psychosis is probably the biggest thing affecting me day to day.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire