cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Think I might be suffering from borderline personality disorder

@Pasta it definitely can do that too, I find it super helpful to be mindful of how much I am drinking if I am not feeling that great. That's really great that your mum can pick you up if you need to get home quickly. Completely up to you if you want to talk about it with friends or not. I hope that you have some fun as well at the party Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Hi @Pasta 

I'm new on here myself and just flicking through some peoples posts and trying to find like-minded people I can connect with.. and your post really hit home for me!!!

I've been wondering myself if I have BPD because I also experience a lot of the same thoughts and feelings. I have HUGE issues with attachment, like I get attached to people I've only met for a couple hours, or even some random I've served at work for two minutes! It SUCKS. 

Looks like you've had some great responses on here to help talk through things but if you ever need to chat or want someone to share those thoughts with I'd be happy to listen cause it sounds like we share a lot in common!

Highlighted

Hey @MB95, welcome to the forum. The community on here is great, everyone is respectful and I'm glad you're here to join. I can't confirm if everything I've experienced or feel is related to BPD, I'm still yet to actually see someone about it. I know I should, I know they're professionals and all but I'm still scared I guess. Pretty sure I can confirm that anxiety has a part to play but I'm not a doctor aha.

Highlighted

I couldn't agree more @Pasta, it seems like such an accepting and understanding little community which I am loving!

I totally understand that we obviously can't just diagnose ourselves with something, which is why reaching out to see someone really helped me. 

I let things go on for years because I kept ignoring it and telling myself it was all in my head and I just needed to get over it. I was scared that if I saw someone they would confirm what I'd been thinking all these years, and that in itself is extremely confronting (well it was for me anyway..). I also stressed about money and couldn't understand why I needed to pay someone so much money to only talk to them for 50min!?!?! And just to have them confirm what I already knew? 

The money thing was a big thing for me actually, I refused to pay that much because what if it didn't work and I just wasted all that money for nothing? 

I've just started uni now where they offer free psychological services and I can say that reaching out was one of the absolute scariest but best things I've done. And I absolutely adore my psychologist, she is so patient with me (I'm a tough one to get to open up) but never gives up on me and it's just nice to know you have someone there for support. If I knew I was going to land her as my psychologist and I had to pay to see her, I'd pay it a thousand times over because I know she's a good one. It's just about trying to find the right fit which I'm sure you know! 

If it helps, I saw a different lady at uni first and we didn't fit at all.. she just spent the entire 50min explaining what anxiety was and how she also had it?! Not what I was needing. So it's hard at first, and it took me years to reach out and then when I finally did we didn't fit so that turned me off for another half a year but then someone suggested to me to give it another shot and I'm so glad I did because I found someone who just gets me and listens to me and puts up with me. So what I'm trying to say is it's scary reaching out, and it doesn't always work out at first, but you've got to be strong and keep pushing until you find the right fit. Because when you do, you'll be so glad you did!! And don't feel ashamed to reach out, it took me so many years and a move to a place I know no one (so they can't find out I'm getting help) to open up, but don't be like me - believe in yourself and find the courage within you to seek that help because you'll be thankful for it in the end. Trust me. 

Highlighted

@Pasta  Hi I am not sure how old you are but to some degree those feelings are pretty normal in high school/college that's why it is so intense. of course if it is causing you problems then it wouldn't hurt to see someone even if only to help with coping strategies. Also keep in mind that if you are under 18 they cannot officially diagnose a personality disorder anyway because it is meant to be a thing that has developed over a long time and it is too hard to say when you are still developing. I personally am diagnosed with BPD and honestly the label has been more trouble than it is worth due to stigma within the mental health professional community but that said it is up to you if you think having the label would be helpful or not. based on my own experiences though i would say try working on coping skills first give yourself time and then see if it is still a problem but that is just me I dont know you or your situation so feel free to ignore that advice if it doesnt sound helpful. 

Highlighted

@Eden1717 I completely understand what you're saying. Didn't know you had to be 18 to be diagnosed with it. I've heard alot of therapists don't want to have a patient with BPD or something idk. I think I'm just going to keep on going and if in the future I need to see someone I will. I don't know how to describe it, like I don't want there to be something wrong with, I'm not trying to force a disorder onto myself but I feel that I'm not 100% good if you know what I mean.

Highlighted

The party was pretty good met new people, made friends. The only bad thing is that I didn't get much sleep aha. In the end "she" never came that I know of. Land of disappointed because that was a big reason why I wanted to go. I didn't know she was going when I was invited.

Highlighted

That's great to hear that the party went well @Pasta! Especially the part where you made new friends Smiley Happy.

How are you looking after yourself today? Especially since you've mentioned that you didn't get enough sleep

@Esperanza67 I've just been trying to sleep the whole day ahah.

Highlighted

@Pasta  thats fair. yeah lots of professionals don't like treating people with BPD because it is complicated and the treatment is long and difficult and people with BPD tend to have a lot of issues staying safe. there is also just a lot of false information about why people with BPD act in certain ways like that they are attention seeking and manipulative which is completely not true at all but people dont take the time to understand where the person is coming from and it is often form a place of serious pain and trauma that is causing them to feel emotionally unstable.