cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Today I am having a tough time because...

Today I am having a tough time because I feel a bit lost at the moment. I'm looking at desks so I can study with a proper desk. But I keep getting bogged down because I liked the desk I had, which I lost when I lost my house in the bushfires last year. It's frustrating looking at new ones (something that seems to be a recurring event with literally everything we are replacing ahah) But I am looking forward to having a proper desk, it's just that today I feel especially down and wishing things could go back to normal. Thanks for letting me do a little rant, I'm glad I've joined this community Smiley Happy

Today, I am having a tough time because I'm starting to think that my relationship with some people whom I really trusted and did a lot for is not reciprocal. It's really hard to explain, but I gave up so much of my time for them, including when I was recovering from my surgeries this year, did everything they asked me to do and I considered them friends. Some comments that one of them made about me several months ago rubbed me the wrong way, but I thought that we still had each other's backs and I tried to let bygones be bygones and continue helping them, which was hard for me to do because I found the comments to be quite hurtful and untrue. Besides, we'd known each other for ages.
But today, I realised that they weren't going to do something that even total strangers have done for me. It would have only taken half an hour max, wouldn't have cost them anything and they wouldn't even have had to leave their house. They knew how much I was struggling and would have been grateful for any kind of help too.
I will be definitely thinking of our relationship differently from now on. I'm tired of doing stuff for people only for them to not do anything for me in return.

@Taylor-RO things are just tough in our house right now

Hey @a99 welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear your house burnt down, it's understandable that it would be upsetting to have to replace everything you were attached to Smiley Sad

@WheresMySquishy Those kind of relationships absolutely suck Smiley Sad Especially when it takes so long to realise all you do is give give give Smiley Sad It might be worth talking about what's been going on with this person if you think you both can get through it and it is an important relationship to you. But something ought to change with the imbalance there, it sounds exhausting and unsupportive for you

Hello @a99 and welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear that you are feeling a bit stressed about finding a new desk. Hopefully you have someone that can help you out by looking at some new desks with you !

Thanks for sharing @WheresMySquishy, it's a shame that you have been feeling that way lately. That must really suck! You are so supportive and caring here on the forums and only deserve the most supportive and caring friends back!

That sounds really difficult @Saltwaterdreamtime, I hope that things become a bit easier soon. We are here for you when you need it Smiley Happy

@Sophia-RO thanks, just exhausted

It has been tough the last day or so hearing about the complete lock down of housing towers in Melbourne, I spent time when I was growing up in those and I’m thinking of all the children being affected by this, it’s very very close to home 

Hey @Saltwaterdreamtime, I totally understand where you are coming from, and it's so so disappointing to see that the Vic government has so cruelly and unfairly locked down these housing towers. I also live in melbourne, and it's really shitty to see how the community has been treated. I am going to email the premier about the situation - which I don't know how much will help - but I think it's important for them to hear that their response has been poor and extremely disappointing. It is extra frustrating as someone who works in health to see them prioritising cops being there, over support, social, and other community workers. 

If you like I can share the email of the premier here, as well as an email template, if you would like to send one as well? Heart

@Andrea-ROit’s hit me quite hard this morning reading about it, I understand they need to test everyone and something has to be done to get this virus under some sort of control but as you said there’s police enforcing orders but likely no mental health support.

I live just out of Melbourne now and the region I live in, like everyone, has found it extremely tough in the lockdown measures, which were never as strict as the ones these housing blocks for any amount of time, in fact, sadly, we’ve had a massive increase in suicides in the region, particularly of young people, during COVID, and we are not classed as a low socio economic area. I don’t know all the background info, my partner works in a role supporting young people and this is what I know from talking to her about it. It is impacting lots of peoples mental health. It feels as if our physical health is put at priority number 1 and mental health is well below.

The people in these housing blocks have likely experienced all sorts of trauma, physical and mental health issues, but Dan’s idea is to lock them in their houses, which to some people and if my experience of them is anything to go by, it is like a jail. I wonder what provisions are put in place for people with a disability, or CALD people? Is this information clearly communicated to them? going by the letter circulating on social media that was given to residents it doesn’t seem like it.

I hope I have made sense I’m just very frustrated hearing about this. And it feels all of sudden people are outraged by this, but never before has anyone questioned the abhorrent living conditions these residents are living in, there is usually a lot of stigma and hate towards people living in commission housing, nice to see people caring, but it’s a shame it has taken this.

Yes I would like the template please

Oh, you made total sense @Saltwaterdreamtime, I completely understand what you mean. I am just as angry as I am sad to see politicians actively putting people's lives at risk, by forcing them into conditions that will be really be detrimental for their mental health. It's unfair that the people in our community who already experience the most hardships, are being targeted so unfairly. 

I also get where you're coming from with being frustrated about people only just caring about this now. My parents came to Australia as refugees, so we also lived in housing commission when I was younger (though I lived in Brisbane and they don't have the same sort of housing towers they do here). When people only start talking about this stuff now, it can feel as if they only care when shit hits the fan, but they're ok with the constant and systemic disadvantages that people experience day to day. But you're right, it is good to see people caring and taking interest in what's going on now. The thing that has helped me process why people only started caring is that a lot of the time people don't know what's happening unless they've been shown, and they're in a space to listen. I'm just glad that the right voices are being elevated and people are being listened to more and more. 

I'll post up my email once I've finished writing it, though honestly, I reckon you should also add some of what you've written in your post. It's very eloquent, and I think really highlights some of the most important reasons about why the handling of this lockdown has been so poor