cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Today I am having a tough time because...

Today I am having a tough time because my teacher just sprung a practice Vce exam on us today without any warning and I was not prepared for it at all. It was very hard and really messed with my confidence of my abilities to do this subject. It certainly doesn't help when she has a habit of publicising our mistakes in front of the entire class, and will probably do so next time we see her. I guess if she did this a month later it would've been better, but right now I just feel like giving up. 

Highlighted

Ughhh @zzz8 that would have been super stressful! Also, not nice to have mistakes raised in front of the whole class. I know it's reallly hard - but just remember that no matter what your VCE results turn out to be, it does not determine your long-term success or your worth. To be very honest, I did terribly in the NSW version of a VCE. It hasn't stopped me doing anything I want to do Smiley Happy All you can do is study as best you can and try to go easy on yourself at this stressful time. 

Highlighted

Yeah thanks @Sophia-RO , I think I just needed to get it out of my head a bit and say how I was feeling which was in itself very helpful. I think missing home comes and goes in waves and I can ultimately manage it but sometimes I do just need to get it out of my own head so I can move on with my day.

Highlighted

Hello @Lottie, it is great to hear that you found expressing yourselves on the forums to be helpful. Sometimes writing our thoughts and feelings down can be a great way to get them out of our heads helping us to manage them better! I think that is a perfectly understandable way of thinking about missing home. It can definitely come in waves, so I am glad to hear that you are able to manage the feelings so that you can focus on the rest of your plans for the day. Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Thank you @Bre-RO for your advice, I will try to not stress about it too much!

Highlighted

I am having a tough time today because I've been experiencing anxiety about my casual job for a year and I've been thinking of quitting recently because I don't think it will get any better than what it has, and I have never called in sick because I know how much harder it would make it for me to go back but because I've been thinking of leaving and I've had a few disruptive things going on this week I called in sick before my shift tomorrow. I feel pretty guilty about it because I feel like I'm just going easy on myself and giving up, and now that I know I won't be going to work tomorrow it seems so much easier in my head and I get frustrated with myself for not wanting to go. 

Highlighted

Hi @macar00n, what you are going through is incredibly tough. To me, it sounds like you really needed the day off tomorrow to take a rest from your busy week. It is okay to take a break, especially if you feel like you need it. It seems like you don't enjoy your job and are thinking of quiting, so I don't blame you for not wanting to go. I have felt similarly before - I used to work in retail when I was younger and the environment was quite unpleasant so I never looked forward to my shifts. I can tell that work is making you feel quite anxious, guilty and just crap in general. I am wondering about what has kept you from quitting?
Highlighted

I really appreciate your response; I've avoided quitting because I have always thought that if I continued I would eventually get used to the job, but after talking to my doctor recently I have decided to quit. Tomorrow was supposed to be my last shift and I was determined to go, but I had a toothache last night and couldn't sleep and couldn't do the routine I usually do to feel less anxious about work. I really don't want to call in sick because I feel like I'm taking the easy way out and making things worse for myself long-term, and I hate giving up on something when I've been trying for so long, I feel like I'm letting myself down.
Highlighted

Hey @macar00n, it's really important for us to take breaks when we need them, particularly when we are feeling sick or gross. I think it's really easy for us to feel too uncomfortable to do so, because it can feel like we are letting ourselves and our peers down. I think what helps me in times like that, I remember that way more useful to my colleagues if I am feeling well, and that it's far better for me to be gone for only a day or two, rather than pushing myself and extending my sickness for a much longer period of time!