cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Too much

Hey @Tiny_leaf 

That sounds awful to not have a say in the tasks you do.  I can't imagine how upsetting that must be.  Have you conveyed to the support worker how debilitating the chores they are asking you to do is for you?

We are all here for you Heart

Highlighted

@Ronan-RO I tried but she just acted like I was making excuses.

For me standing is harder than walking for some reason, especially without my cane but she didn't believe me.

She didn't believe I had any trouble with walking until after I got my cane.

And she was talking to me about how one of her other clients just "chooses not to walk" and I had to explain the difference between above and below knee amputations.

But I think she thinks the same of me.

Highlighted

But again my main problem isn't with the chores it's the fact that mum has taken appointments that I need and she has turned them into a way of getting what she wants regardless of what I need.

Highlighted

Aww @Tiny_leaf I hear you. Something that is meant to be there to help you has turned into something entirely different. No wonder you're feeling down Smiley Sad 

I'm really sorry to hear that she didn't believe you had trouble with walking until after you got your cane. I'd hate it if someone didn't believe what I said about my own body. 

As much as that sucks, I hope you know that we will always believe you. Is there anything the community can do this evening to support  you? 

Highlighted

@Bre-RO I don't know Smiley Sad

I just know I can't trust mum.

Highlighted

That must be a really unsettling thing to feel Smiley Sad Is there anyone in your support network that you do feel you can trust? I'm about to log off for the day but I really hope you can do something relaxing or even just distracting. I really hope you start feeling better soon @Tiny_leaf 

Highlighted

Yeah one of my support workers, but they've been affected a lot by the virus.

They were going to get surgery but their surgery was cancelled. They were so close.

But yeah they aren't back at work in-person yet.

And between them being deaf and me being unable to do phone calls or video calls, doing anything like that is a bit hard for both of us...

Mum just had a telehealth appointment with me sitting behind the camera listening.

My OT basically told mum to back off on trying to figure out chores and respect my limits.

Idk if I trust my OT fully but she's alright.

Still though mum and my other support worker are still planning how to get me to do the things that I can't safely do.

I'm beginning to wonder of I should ask my case manager person for only other disabled support workers who understand what limits are because most abled people I've spoken to irl just don't get it.

Highlighted

@Tiny_leaf  I am sorry about your support worker not sticking up for you. If you are over 18 and your own legal guardian you are well within your rights to insist that you be involved in all conversations regarding your care and are also entitled to request that certain people are not to be involved with your care. I think it is one thing for your mum to want you to help around the house more but I think maybe that should be done in a way that helps you to firstly learn how to do the tasks you don’t know how to do so you don’t get in trouble but secondly to find a way to do the tasks in a way that is ok for you to do them so some tasks you could do sitting or do in small amounts over a longer period of time. Either way I think maybe it would be good to sit down with everyone and make it clear what your needs are, although that is easier said than done. 

Highlighted

@Eden1717 that's what's been bothering me..

I thought I had the right to be involved in my care but I don't have the power to make sure my rights are taken care of.

Highlighted

@Tiny_leaf  you do have the right to be involved and the ndis was set up to try and make it easier for the disabled individual to access care they wanted and needed it is supposed to be person centered and can generally speaking be with the right workers. do you have a care coordinator like the person who is supposed to arrange all your supports? if you are not happy with your care you can call them and ask for a different support worker you can also ask them to go through your plan with you and explain what it covers and such. you should also be able to email them or text them if that is easier. but if you were on the nids since you were a minor then maybe it would be good to sit down and reassess how your supports will work now that you are an adult.