cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trichotillomania

I have been compulsively pulling the hair out of my head since 2015 and only now i have realised that it is a mental health problem called trichotillomania. I'm embarrassed by it and i'm scared to talk to someone about but i desperately want help. As am I writing this I'm constantly taking breaks to pull out my hair, just about every full stop signifies me taking my hands off the keyboard and ripping out strands of hair. I've noticed that i usually start pulling out my hair when i'm feeling anxious, stressed, bad about my body or when I want to keep my mind of things. Sometimes there is no reason, i just do it compulsively out of habit. 

2015 was my worst year, I had bald spots and broken off hair around the sides and I was embarrassed to show up to school everyday with pieces of broken hair and thin hair/bald spots around the sides of my head. I am still constantly pulling from the sides but at the back of my part there is a little bit of a bald patch and i have little bits of hair sticking out. My mum has caught me doing it a couple times and i was instantly embarrassed and i felt ashamed.

I want to get better but i don't know how to bring up the conversation. I want to see a day where i no longer feel the impulse to pull out my hair 

Here's a link if you want to learn more about it:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/trichotillomania/symptoms-causes/syc-20355188

Re: Trichotillomania

hi there @makeitlovely and welcome. well done for reaching out for support. 

this seems like  a nervous (and subconscious) action. when im nervous and even sitting here one of my habits its itching- im not itchy as such but i think i am (causes sores as well) so im working on something i find rather embarrassing too i can understand why you would embarrased but im sure with the right help and support youll accomlish your goal. 

would you be willing to speak to your school/uni counsellor? perhaps talk to your mum? 

i know its embarrassing for you and would be hard for you to bring up so maybe you could write a letter to your mum explaining you would like some help and that you suffer from this?

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Hey @makeitlovely, I just want to thank you for opening up about this. We are all here to support and listen as long as you need. As with our friend @scared01, would you consider the school counsellor? Another really good service is KHL (1800 55 1800), they are totally confidential and may have some helpful strategies. How has your Mum engaged with you after catching you? Has she spoken to you at all? I will tag some other members to provide you with further support Heart

@FootyFan26 @missep @Bee @Asche @mrmusic

That sounds pretty difficult @makeitlovely Smiley Frustrated

As @Bree-RO and @scared01 have mentioned, if you want to talk about something there are many ways to go about it.  Some people like to write, some people would prefer to sit the person down, some people might even want to make a video!  It's totally okay not to know how to go about chatting to someone about a problem.  Have you ever tried talking to your Mum about it?

@scared01 I'm sorry to hear that you too are dealing with something similar

When term 2 starts back i might consider meeting with the school counsellor. Writing a letter to my mum about it is also seems like a good idea because i'm not all that great at talking about my own feelings 

Thank you so much

your more than welcome @makeitlovely its like a compuslive habit and often we dont know we are doing it until someone points it out making us even more conscious of it. do you dfind the same thing happens to you too?

that sounds like a good idea, your mum would also be able to take you to your gp and get some extra support as well. headpspace is rather good service to get help from. they also have a chat line as well in case you need some extra support too

ill add in there website here for you to take a look at too

https://www.headspace.org.au 

Hey @Bree-RO , thank you for the support

I am considering talking to my school counsellor when i get back, i just get really nervous when talking about my own feelings, especially when it's something like this.

My mum hasn't really said anything to me except for telling me to stop which does make me feel ashamed of my habit but i know it's not her fault, she most likely doesn't know that trichotillomania exists 

Thank you for tagging others, it really does mean a lot and thank you for recommending KHL, i'll definitely check it out  x 

@FootyFan26 I have never tried to talk to my mum about. Even though she is caring, i'm a little bit scared of what her reaction might be when i tell her that this is a mental illness. If i do build up the courage i'll write a letter, i'm much better at expressing myself through written words rather than spoken words

Thank you so much  

Yes @scared01 that happens to me all the time, whenever anyone looks at me or mentions anything after they've seen me i feel so much more aware of it

I'll definitely check out headspace, thank you again x

not a problem at all @makeitlovely i really hope things pick up. youve made a really positive step here in reaching out for support

please keep us updated how you go as well