cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Turning Negatives Into Positives

@Bee , awesome to see that you know you can overcome all the negatives! Great attitude, I feel so inspired... ahah. Smiley Happy
Hope time outside the house does let you settle and all the other coping mechanisms have a positive outcome, all the best.

Hey @Bee, I'm really, really impressed with how you've been able to see and work towards positives. Even after receiving your blood test results, you look at the bright side - the conditions are treatable and you'r already starting treatment on one of them. Your attitude and strength is really inspiring stuff!

I'm really proud of you for focusing on ignoring negative comments from others. Sometimes people don't really understand the weight of what they say and how it can affect someone. Please keep us updated on how the negative patterns and thinking sessions with your psychologist go. There's so much proof in this thread of the amazing progress you've already made in this area, these sessions could help you take even bigger strides!

NEG:My office manager quit the job, and she usually handles SO MANY THINGS that we cant do or never learn to do.

Positive: This is an opportunity for me to increase my responsibility within the practice, to learn new skills, experience and to grow as a person!

Highlighted

negative: I'm going to graduate a lot later than I wanted too, and people are going to know
Postive: I can't do anything about the past, and I don't know what is going to happen in the future and at least now I have a plan and I inow what I'm going to do. Its the best possible plan given the circumstances, and I was able to do using all the available resources to me. Before, I would have never needed any help, so I would have never learnt to use resources, maybe I'll do even better than I would have before hand

Negative: my mother has been back for two days, and already she has made several comments where she greatly underestimates the severity of my depression and greatly overestimates what I am able to do and cope.
Positive: she thinks that I am stronger than I am, so maybe she is seeing something I am not. Perhaps I'm faking it, so soon I'll make it? The comments were not made maliciously, rather stem from a mistaken belief, there will be other people like that in the world, and I have to learn to deal with it sooner or later. A year ago the comments would have sent me into a spiral, and I might not have even known why but not today, which shows I accept myself more, and I know what my values are. Who knows where I will be a year from now!

Great positives @SailorE! Huge props for the reflection and for shifting your perspective. That is really inspiring to see.

@sunflowers5 thanks. It's tough, but I'm surviving I guess.
@moonwalk My psychologist helped with that. I was kinda like great more issues... I will, I'll try to bring it up next session.

Neg: Have worked everyday for 8 days straight and 2 more to go before 2 days off, one for TAFE and then my psych apt. I'm just feeling really tired right now with all the work I've had. I'm cranky. I'm fragile. I'm clumsy. I'm not coping when I make mistakes or bump into things. I'm feeling foggy and not in tune with myself. I'm feeling detached and distant from life. Feeling over the whole process of everything. Why do I even bother? Life just feels too hard right now. I just want to give up Smiley Sad

Pos: At least I've got work! Some of them have been short shifts which has been awesome. I will get through. One day at a time. I know the extreme tiredness/exhaustion right now is a combination of being over-worked and lack of sleep mixed with iron deficiency! It's treatable and I'm in the treatment phase, I just wish it would hurry up and kick in. Feeling like I'm not coping is a fair bit bcause I'm tired! The other negative thoughts are the black dog digging its heals in again. It's trying to take control of me and my life...

Neg: I'm starting to be given the really really long shifts at work again... I feel like I'm in a catch 22, if I complain about them and say I find them too hard, my shifts will get cut back to 4 hours each again, and I'll end up with 3 shifts a week, but if I don't say anything and I just keep doing them, I'm only making myself more tired, and putting myself at risk of more negative thoughts. I'm only going to be making myself worse in the long run, I'm struggling now to get things done, after a 3.5 hour shift how am I going to cope with the long as ones? 

Pos: I NEED to bring this up with either my GP or my psychologist. I need to seek their opinion and possibly get them involved. I want to continue working their, I get along ok with most of the staff, I'm managing to feel ok there. But sometimes the work environment and the hours make it really hard to cope during work and afterwards. I know deep down some of it is my skwewd thinking, but I need help before it escalates too bad..

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@Bee it sounds like that job is pretty tough, but good on you for putting a positive spin on things! It's also good that you mentioned bringing it up with your GP or psychologist. Perhaps you could also benefit from some self-care strategies away from work? You could even discuss it with your GP/Psychologist when you see them next 

Negative - They're changing the teacher I look up to the most.  Now I won't have him for sport.

Positive - I can find someone else?

Negative - My mum has a boyfriend and I have trust issues

Positive - Everyone else thinks he's good for her.  It's her decision I guess.

Negative - I missed out on another footy match

Positive - It's out of my control.

Negative - I am constantly getting angrier and the thread is not contributing to it.

Positive - I have no clue.

Hey @Bee how are you going?

Did you manage to get some rest over the weekend?

Its great that you have identified things that might put you at risk of negative thoughts, and I like how you are trying to be reasonable and compromise with the catch over long/short shifts. I totally understand that, when you are casual or part time it seems you get lots of long shifts when you dont want and fewer short ones when you want work haha!

Its a good idea to chat to your psych and gp about it, maybe they can help you with some coping tips and if these dont seem to be working you could explain to your work that youd like alternating long and short shifts or one long shift a week (or whatever you feel comfortable with)

Hows home life going atm? and swapping meds, have the bad side effects eased at all?

Hey @FootyFan26I understand how missing your footy match would've been frustrating. I sometimes build up stress and anger if I don't get to play basketball once or twice a week, or go to the gym regularly.

Have you tried doing some of the activities that have helped you release some of your anger in the past? I know it's late-ish on Sunday night, but maybe a some excercise like push-ups and sit-ups could help a bit? Even just 5-10 minutes could do some good.