cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I feel so different from everyone

I'm finding it hard to relate to people. Will anyone ever understand me? I feel like I'm too intense, I have intense mood swings. My mood shifts for no apparent reason, and it's been pretty rough lately, more intense and rapid swings. It's so annoying. Depression seems to dominate the swings even more now too, I.e. the proportion I spend down is greater. Sometimes I'm impulsive, yet I get told I need to control yourself better. Doesn't anyone understand how hard it is to go through this shit. What kind of fucking life is this?

Re: Why do I feel so different from everyone

Hey @Creativegirl12

How've you been? 

Damn, that sounds so frustrating Smiley Sad

Relating to people can be super tough, because a lot of the time, you just don't know how they react and vice versa. With the people you've been hanging out with or meeting, have you explained this to them about how difficult it is? Even though they may not understand, they could help you out with how your mood swings affect you. This could be taking time out or a break from doing what you're doing or moving on to pursue a different activity. 

@Myvo I'm having a tough day. I'm back at home, there really isn't anyone else to talk to besides my parents. I guess I'm sort of annoyed of the fact I can't explain to them I can't simply not be impulsive, things can't change overnight. I was trying to talk to my mum about how bad I was feeling, I just felt angry afterwards. She doesn't seem to understand, and says I won't be able to find anyone who I can relate to over mood swings/mood disorder. Because we are all too different. Maybe I'm just stupid and I expect too much. But I just wanted to relate to someone.

@FootyFan26 They were like why. And that I need to control myself better, and I need to work harder. It's not easy. I guess its because they are my parents. 

You're not stupid @Creativegirl12. We all deserve to be able to relate to people or to find someone/somebody who know for sure what we're going through. I don't think that blaming others simply because they never have experienced what you're going through is a good idea. It's a negative thought to take on. Yes, there are people who can sympathise and those who can empathise. Like you said, we're all very different from each other and we offer and receive support on different levels too. Since you're back home, has there been a pro that you've been able to make an appointment with to chat about your progress? 

@Myvo maybe I should be a little easier on my parents. I'm just feeling really lost and angry at the moment. I'm stuck here with no professional support or anything. All I can do is email my previous psych. That's pretty much all I can do. I'm here for a month. Will have to see what I can do. I wasn't expecting on coming home this early either.

@Creativegirl12 You could ask your previous psych whether this is a short-term service around that you could access for the month. Stay strong and update us!

I can ask my old psychologist about services, like if there is anyone I can talk to when I feel really bad.

Maybe I should've sorted this out earlier, meaning what I should do here while I'm away from professional support.

Even though I'm with my family and all, I feel like I should be enjoying myself more, but I feel like I can't. I feel suffocated, and I want to be left alone. I just want to curl somewhere alone and cry over feeling hopeless and feeling feeling stupid because other people seem to manage their emotions better than I can. I can't help wonder, what if I don't have a mood disorder or any mental illness and it's all in my head and I'm just a stupid young adult who can't manage her mood swings. All young people get mood swings. I mean I've been reaching out for a while, and I'm still stuck here.

want to be left alone, so I can self harm in peace too. Instead of my mum hovering over me, asking me too many questions about whether I've self harmed.

@Creativegirl12 That's a good start. It's never too late to write out a safe plan, so don't be too hard on yourself. 

With your mum hovering around, it could be her small way of checking up on you - even if it's not the best way of doing so or even remotely helpful. Could you tell her to give you some space? This could be compromising an open-door plan, where you could leave the door slightly ajar. This still gives you most of your privacy but still lets your mum know that you're travelling ok. For self-harm, what distractions have you been using? 

hey @Creativegirl12 

I was wondering if there is a way that your previous psych could send you any information that you could print out and show your parents? or even get them to chat to your rents so they could begin to understand whats going on with you a bit more?

It might help to prevent them annoying you in the future if they know exactly in writing whats going on and that its a real thing and its not so easy as to just "control yourself" type of thing?