cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I ever be 'happy'?

Having spent nearly my entire life with various forms of mental illness I've realised I'll probably never know what happiness is. I want to give up. 

===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Re: Will I ever be 'happy'?

Hey @redhead, it's incredible how resilient you are. It is something I admire in you, and hope to instill some of your resilience in myself one day. Has something happened today you want to talk about? I am concerned about the last bit, are you safe? Heart 

I don't know
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Ok @redhead, I will send you an email Heart

@redhead this is a question I've pondered myself at times too.
What I've found is remembering the times where I wasn't feeling so sad or gloomy, so when a friend shared a story about something funny their dog did and I smiled etc. I also try to remember that without the saddness we wouldn't feel the happiness, like the lesson in *mind blank I forget the name ofthte movie! Smiley Surprised - the one about the emotions who are characters - joy, saddness, anger etc...

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Hey @redhead, this is a very interesting question. I actually had a very similar discussion with my previous psychologist a while back, and what she said has stuck with me ever since. Rather than thinking about being 'happy', think about being content. But that doesn't necessarily answer your question though...

Similar to what @Bee suggested, I think practising gratitude is really important to keep things into perspective. From my experience, it might seem pointless at first, however the tiny little positives begin to add up after a while. Is this something you could consider?

You've had a lot of struggle in your life, and you have built up an incredible resilience. This is something that I admire you for. I think it might be a good idea to start posting in your self compassion thread again (and for that matter so should I), as this is a really important skill to practise.

We're always here for you. Heart

that's the thing u can't give up. because each time you say u give up another part of yourself does. i used to give up but then i thought about everything i have in life. then i look to how happy i make everyone.