cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: can’t take it anymore

yeah in the end that’s what counts @Bee

we were celebrating immersion day at school so we watched a french film called La Famille Bélier. it was actually a good movie and there were a lot of laughs.

Sounds good @litgym Smiley Happy

hey @Bee

i don’t know what to do. i have a spanish speaking assessment coming up and i told my teacher that i have anxiety and she gave me some other options but i don’t know. i know i need to at least speak in front of her because i keep avoiding the situation but erghh i don’t know. its gonna kill me. that’s why i have panic attacks because in my head doing presentations etc will “kill” me. it’ll be good for me to at least do it in front of her but ergh it’s so stressful. she also said i could present with a friend but i feel like everyone will start complaining and say “why are they doing it together?” i honestly don’t know what to do. it’s in less than 2 weeks and im missing next tuesday’s class so ill have no time to work things out before presenting day.

this probably made no sense.

@litgym reading that I feel a sense of urgency and intense worry about this assessment. I can understand how anxiety provoking it is. I remember once I had to give a speech in science and my teacher let me do it at lunch just us, and that in itself was scary enough. I remember feeling so sick and trying to do everything I could to avoid it. My teacher kept urging me to do it. And eventually, I got through it, albeit a bit patch between speaking and "do I have to"

It can be a daunting experience for sure, and from experience the more you stress about it the more power it will have over you. And I know it can be so very hard not to stress over it, but maybe we can break it down into smaller parts to help you through it?

ps. Makes total sense <3

Highlighted

when it comes to speaking assessments i feel the need to be very prepared and try my best to learn as much as i can @Bee

she gave me some options;

- film myself (i hate myself being filmed, i cannot begin)

- do it in front of her

- do it with a friend in front of th whole class

I’m leaning towards doing it in front of her but that’s still bad enough. I know in the end a panic attack is gonna happen. I just don’t know if ill get through it. Like that is honestly the end of the world for me. Ergh it’s stressing me out so much right now. 

@litgym That makes sense, being prepared sounds like a great idea Smiley Happy

I like that your teacher gave you some options to get through it Smiley Happy
Oh I get you on being filmed, I had to do a TAFE assessment last year or the year before where I had to record myself saying words from the unit, it was annoying. I ended up editing the file so that I could take out my mistakes Smiley Tongue But that was only audio...

So it sounds like you've ruled out filming yourself, which gives you two options, and you said you are leaning towards doing it in front of your teacher.

I wonder if you've tried some breathing exercises to get through the panic attacks?
One thing I found when doing Drama and performing in my final years was breathing. I would take some deep breaths and try to calm my body by slowing my breathing y heart raced slowed which enabled me to calm a little and turn off some of the alarm bells ringing inside my head.
Does this sound like something that you could try?

like i would rather to an audio but she hasn’t given me that option and i need push myself or it’s just going to worse @Bee

i do some breathing exercises but my body just ignores it. it kinda helps, in the end ive seemed to manage it don’t really know how. i also have this thing about the 5 senses, so i think of 5 things i can smell, 5 things i can see etc.

Hey @litgym, I think a lot of people really struggle with presenting as @Bee said. It sounds like you have to present one way or another, so would it be helpful for you to practice at home or even outside beforehand? That is great that you use the 5 senses. It might not seem super magical at the time but it sounds like it is working for you in the moment. Sometimes we can be so overwhelmed that we might not realise how wound up we were when we are now calm Heart

hey @Taylor-RO

i will practise but in the moment when i present and before hand i will freak out and start having a panic attack. i just feel like i won’t get through it. i would rather fail than have to do it. im dropping spanish at the end of this year anyways. i also have no motivation to even start writing my speaking. it’s on things we like and dislike and also activities. i tried writing it last night and it was too “hard” for me to do. when i present i also have to have a powerpoint playing behind me. i honestly don’t know how im gonna do it.

Announcements
Share what's on your mind:
Head here and click "start a topic"

Not sure where to start?:
Head here and say hi!
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 182 guests
Please welcome our newest community members:
Top High Fived Authors