cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

first counselling session??

so my mum organised a headspace counselling session for me so just a few minutes ago I talked to one of the counsellors and they asked me a few questions on why I want to go there and whats wrong. but the problem is that I dont want my mum knowing like the details cause I dont want her to worry even more. like they asked if I self harmed before and I said no cause I feel like if I say yes, my mum would freak and they asked if ive had trouble sleeping and if my school life is ok and I lied and said yes when in truth, its pretty trash. so idk and I was so nervous talking to her over the phone so im terrified to talk to them in real life. like im the sort of person who keeps things to them selves so idk im really nervous cause im first session is like end of January. any advice? 

Highlighted

Re: first counselling session??

Hi @ruthxxx 

My first suggestion would be to speak to them alone, and ask about confidentiality. That way you know how much you can say without your mum knowing. 

Secondly, make a list of what you most want to talk about. You can either read from the list, or give it to your counselor to read.

And thirdly, let them know that you're nervous to speak. It will really help them understand where you're coming from and will let them know not to take things too fast. 

Highlighted

Hi @ruthxxx,
How do you feel about trying headspace?
I agree with @Tiny_leaf's suggestions. I think it would be a good idea to clarify with the counsellor what they can and can't tell other people about you. You could also tell them that confidentiality is very important to you and being assured that the sessions will be confidential will help you open up.
In my experience, many counsellors understand that it can be really nerve-wracking to speak to them for the first time. The first session is usually about getting to know you and possibly setting some goals for the next sessions.
I hope it all goes well for you. Heart

Hi @ruthxxx 

I agree with @WheresMySquishy  and @Tiny_leaf suggestions/advice.

What I can say as well first session with any health service provider is usually a getting to know you session. Which can be a good thing. For instance, I have found from sessions in the past within mental health/counselling can be great opportunities to have a new kind of support.

If you do not feel comfortable speaking in depth about your experiences with the counsellor, the session could just be a talk, where the topics of interest can diversified, such talking more about what kind of person you are, your hobbies,dreams, interests, goals etc. This way it could help minimise the nerves, if that would be something you would be willing to try.