cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

having the sensation that everything is far away and in slow motion

This is something I’ve experienced now and then, more often when I was younger, and infrequently now as a teenager. I never knew what it was, and was always curious about it.

In the past i would sometimes lie in bed and my room, especially the walls and door, would feel very far away and stretched, and I would feel very small. It was quite a frightening sensation for unknown reasons. Also, sometimes I will do something and the action seems in slow motion. For example, just now I wet my lips and the action felt very slow and afterward, things felt far away. Again, i was frightened by it but I’m not sure why, how or in what way. 

Additionally, this used to happen when I was sick and had fever dreams. This feelings were always heightened. I remember lying in bed with my mum and having her stroke my arm, but I had the opposite sensation of slow motion. Her stroking felt very fast and scary. 

Could someone please attempt to explain this? I’ve never understood it. 

Re: having the sensation that everything is far away and in slow motion

Hey @georgiabread, just wondering how you are doing this morning?

I can’t say that I’ve personally experienced what you’re going through, but I just wanted to let you know that we care about you and are here for you. Heart

@georgiabread I have occasionally had similar experiences. It tends to happen when I dissociate. It can get scary but I think your brave in trying to explore the cause.

Have you ever talked to anyone about how you feel.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Yeah I notice this myself from time to time @georgiabread, idk what it is though. I might look into it when i'm not in class lol Smiley Tongue
Highlighted

Hey @georgiabread, I've never experienced that exact sensation but every now and then when I'm laying in bed trying to sleep I get strange sensations, often to do with my mouth. If it's frightening you, have you thought about talking to a doctor?