cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i'm not sure really i just need to got this out..

My family on my mom's side never remember my birthday because I was born that day they only know know it because my grandfather (their father) died on it and I'm tired of never getting a happy birthday I don't want a million gifts I don't want money I just want my family to acknowledged the day I was born  like my uncle is my godfather  and he's never even said happy birthday to me I don't know if this means I'm just being an attention hog or something but they got my sister a TV and my brother some large amount of money I have never gotten a card from anyone but my grandmother that recently passed I don't know thanks in advance am i just greedy?Smiley SadWoman Frustrated

Highlighted

Re: i'm not sure really i just need to got this out..

Hey that sounds like a really difficult time to have your birthday around.  Especially when you can see your siblings are getting gifts around you.  I'm not really sure how you could possibly approach this, but I think maybe the best way to do so, would to be to organise and arrange a get together with your friends on your birthday, so that you feel acknowledged.  A way to get around the family is to suggest going out for dinner on your birthday? It might prompt them to realise that you're important as well.

Hope you feel better about it all and that the next one is better.

Thanks I'll try it Smiley Happy

Hey @Fallen Angel and welcome to ReachOut. It's not the best thing when no one remembers your birthday, especially if something else also happened on that day. But maybe getting your family to see that a good thing, ie you, happened on that day can help them as well as you.

Your not being an attention hog at all, or greedy. It's natural to want some recognition for your birthday.
What @_sagira_ suggested is great but another approach, if you feel confident enough, would be to have a conversation with your parents or immediate family (brothers, sisters, parents) about your birthday and how you'd like to do something, such as go out for dinner or have a nice family meal or maybe some cake. Anything really. An extended family dinner too. You telling them how you feel and giving them some ideas could also help them realise that you are important.

Good luck for your next birthday.

Thanks this really helped hopefully they listen

Hey Fallen Angel

You are not an attention hog or being greedy, I hate when my family forgets my birthday. I agree with everyone here and maybe talking to your family about how you feel might help them realize how important this is to you.

If they cant see how important your day is then dont wait for them, find a way for you to enjoy your day and definitely agree that having friends take you out or you go on a shopping spree anything that makes you happy. Smiley Happy

Hope that helps and Happy Belated Birthday Smiley Happy

My birthday is next month but thank you and you all are really helpful and you really make me feel better!  Smiley Very Happy