cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: mania

Hey @redhead 

Mania and hypomania is a blessing and a curse at the same time! 

I cannot stress enough the importance of sleep. Even if you want to (or rather think you have to) write or clean or run or dance or sing or party, you really, really, really need to try and sleep which is the hardest thing in the world if you are manic. Set an alarm or reminder on your phone to prompt you and go to bed. Sleep can really help get the body back on track and bring everything back down.  

Calming things can be helpful - a cup of tea, lighting a candle, having a bath, getting a massage, doing yoga, meditation and relaxation. Even if they don't help at least they are not overstimulating and letting everything get higher. 

Like others have said, you can try and chanel the excess energy into something productive - cleaning is a great one Smiley Happy Or cooking. Is there any type of exercise you like? I hate traditional exercise but I like dancing so will go and do heaps of dance classes if I am hypomanc. If you cna find something you like it could be really helpful Smiley Happy Or something creative too! Good luck with your painting Smiley Very Happy 

Unfortunately what goes up must come down so make sure you have some plans in place if you crash. Even if it's organising something fun to do like going to the movies or catching up with a plan. 

I don't know how you feel about letting your friends know but sometimes that can be helpful - especially if you are inclined to do something impulsive, it can be great to have someone letting you know some of the ideas you are having are not the greatest. It can be hard coming down from mania/hypomania and losing all your creativity/energy/spark so it's good to have some fun things in place to remind you that life is still fun and great (and probably better) when you are not flying high. 

Good luck and take care Smiley Very Happy 

Highlighted

@sammysammy16 thanks for your advice Smiley Happy
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire
Highlighted

I too agree that sometime, Yoga, deep breathing and meditatin really hellps you relaxe. Hopefully, you'll be better soon. 

Highlighted

How are you going today?
Highlighted

@sammysammy16 so high today. But I have managed to take my meds so hopefully I'll calm down soon. I've been trying to calm down with self soothing techniques but nothing is really helping. All I can do is try to keep distracted and busy so my mind doesn't go too fast.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire
Highlighted

I'm really pleased that you guys (sammy and redhead) are able to share their experiences of this... It's powerful stuff - when you have experienced similar things peer support can really offer the deepest empathy and genuine hope. It's great to see you supporting each other.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com