cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

moving

I've decided to move out of my supported accommodation because it's not fair on the staff and other residents. I can't keep having cops rock up or taking off on staff when they are trying to help me. I'm pushing the limits and I'd rather move out before they kick me out which would be soon anyway.
I'm both scared and excited because I've never lived alone. It could be amazing or it could be terrible. Will I be able to stay safe alone. It's not like I'm staying safe atm anyway.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire
Highlighted

Re: moving

Hey @redhead 

this seems like quite a big leap for you and I can understand it would be both exciting and scary. Have you talked to family/friends/counsellors about this? I think it's important that they know about the change you've made so there's always someone looking out for you.

Also check out this page for some tips on how to manage home life when you're on your own.

It's good that you have such a positive attitude about moving out and how it impacts the staff and residents. Just remember to take care of yourself as well and make sure this decision is best for you.

Well done and good luck @redhead Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hey @redhead, 

Living alone can be great and terrible - sometimes all in the one day. Smiley Happy Mind you, so can living with flatmates. Smiley Happy

I find that without people around me (or reasons I *have* to get out of my pajamas and go out into the world, like work or seeing friends) I can go into a bit of a depressive jag.

Keeping yourself safe is ultimately always your own call. A move out of supported accommodation will make your own circle of support even more important in your life - have you got a plan for how you'll manage that? Maybe a good convo to have with your case worker, if you haven't already discussed it.

Good luck with it!

blithe

Highlighted

been around town to realeste agents booked in to look at properties over the next few weeks.

i havent talked to my casemanager about it yet because she is on leave.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire
Highlighted

Moving can be quite a stressful event, and often really hectic, so I reckon you should have a chat to your case manager about it before you lock yourself into anything. They should at least be able to provide support during the transition period so you won't be suddenly on your own.

Highlighted

Hey @redhead , wow, what a way to kick off 2015!  Moving out / living by yourself can definitely be exciting, but I think agree with the others - it can also be very stressful and hectic. Making sure you have a strong support circle at this time can be crucial. You know Reach Out is always here for you as part of your circle, but there are others who are there for you too.

On a side note, don't watch too many scary movies if you're home alone! I know I can never sleep after, haha. I imagine every shadow is someone coming to get me!

Highlighted

Hey @redhead 

How did you go? I know that private rental costs can come as a nasty surprise. Did you find places that suited your budget?

As others here have said, moving has some upsides but a whole llot of downsides too.

Not least of which is the financial!

Bond, rent in advance, movers, buying furniture and whitegoods if you don't own any.

Have you worked out your finances? 

Highlighted

My casemanager is on leave for two weeks but I had a really good chat to my therapist today about It all. She was quite supportive. I also have the support of my friends and family. So I won't be going through this alone.

There are quite a few places within my budget so I should find somewhere that suits me really well that I like.
I can apply for bond assistance and a nils loan for my white goods. I have other furniture so I won't have to dive into my savings too much to get what I need.
I'm fairly good at budgeting so I should be able to manage financially.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire
Highlighted

You sound like you've really thought this through and you've got your bases covered. Well done!

It's also great that your therapist is supportive of the move. It can make a huge difference to the outcome of things when more people support it. Smiley Happy