cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ptsd diagnosis

left tafe early so i could go to a headspace appointment and they've diagnosed me with post traumatic stress disorder. i dont really know what this means for me, just feels like another problem to add to the list of

"reasons why jay is fucked up".

what a joke, they dont even know me yet they think they can go around say i've got this and that. i know its been coming because we've been talking about it at headspace for a bit but that doesnt make it any better

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Re: ptsd diagnosis

@j95 it's tough getting a new diagnosis, I got a new one two days ago so I kinda know how you feel. Don't let the diagnosis define you. You are so much more than the labels professionals give you.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

@redhead is right, you are more than what mental health professionals diagnose you with. It might take a while to come to terms with it, and take the time you need for that as well. We'll be here if you need us Smiley Happy

Hey @j95 , it sounds like your feeling frustrated about this new diagnosis?  I totally understand how it can be demoralizing and make you feel like you have a problem, but consider: does this actually change anything?  In my eyes, you are still the same j95 that I see in the forums! What would you tell a friend who came to you with the same concerns?

Remember, you are not your diagnosis and it's not a label you have to carry with you.  A diagnosis just helps to describe your tendancies to feel certain ways sometimes, and gives you a bit more understanding.

Hey @j95,

Like everyone else said, you're the same person today that you were yesterday. A diagnosis is just a tool they use to try to help you.

And, PTSD isn't anything to feel bad about either. My dad had it, actually. It just means that your body's way of coping after something bad has gone a bit haywire. You, your body and your mind need some TLC. I really hope that the Headspace docs are able to help you get that.

Cheers!
blithe

thanks @redhead @safari93 @tsnyder @blithe thanks guys! just a hard thing to take I guess.

If the diagnosis doesnt  feel right  I would say get a second opinion!

It's not that it doesn't feel correct @Troy in fact maybe it's the answer... but im just finding it hard to take in, just thinking a lot about what PTSD is the result of - that's the part I hate because it's not my fault yet I have to suffer with all these problems

Hey Jay - like I said to redhead when she got her recent diagnosis - this isn't any thing "new" that's "wrong" with you - it's just a way for you and the people that support you to underestand whats been happening and more importantly, how you can get the best help.\

You have been putting in the hard yards trying to get help for so long - it's a confronting process and takes hard work. I'm sorry you are taking it so hard but I hope with time it will be easier. The others have said it best - this doesn't define you and you are still the same person you were last week.

Sounds like you have been talking about it already with headspace, but here is our factsheet on ptsd... I noticed that a lot of the resources online tend to focus around ptsd as a result of a one off event, and if yours is a result of a series of events/repetitive events then you might have more luck looking up complex post traumatic stress disorder (c-ptsd). It can be good to inform yourself but make sure you are looking up reputible sources.

Anyway Jay - keep doing the thing that you do to look after yourself (footy, music etc) and we're proud of you for sticking with headspace though I know its been a tough ride trying to get the support you need. 

We are here for you, as always.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Thanks @tsnyder

Thanks @Sophie-RO you're so right, nothing has changed, I'm still me. I've been looking up some resources and information.