cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: scars

Hey @vampireprincess 

This can be a really tough thing to experience because we know that some aspects of our personal and professional lives are completely seperate... like having self harm scars doesn't affect your ability to be a good childcare worker... but your supervisor is bringing it into the work place and making it an issue when really it shouldn't be? Like, if anything you feel like your supervisor should be the one saying "if any parents bring it up let me know and i'll deal with it" but instead they are kind of being like... get yourself prepared to deal with this yourself?

I think from the sounds of how the conversation went down, it was meant to be well intentioned. She was just making you aware that kids ask questions about anything and everything and that parents can be very "protective" over things they may not necessarily need to... but of course it does leave you feeling very vulnerable! It's not really the parents business, or your supervisors business, when it comes to your past. They don't really know what you've been through.

I think in terms of moving forward from this it's important for you to be able to say to parents that any questions surrounding your body are personal and unrelated to the work you are doing. I have a tattoo with roman numerals on my arms and people constantly ask me what it stands for. It is a really personal thing for me and anytime someone asks I just say "it's a personal date" or "it's personal to me". You don't have to say anything else! And if they keep psuhing just tell them it's unrelated to your work and you do not want to speak about it.

Don't play into their BS. It's a scar. It's not a judgement of who you are as a person  - and even if it was it would just show how strong you are to get through it! So keep your head high x

lanejane