cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sleep

The last few months have been really hard for me ever since they changed my meds. I've been getting about half as much sleep as I used to. The not sleeping is really doing my head in.
I've tried everything I could think of and everything my psychiatrist suggested to get a good a sleep but nothing has helped. I've even tried taking extra meds (I was allowed to) but that didn't help.
My symptoms get exasperated when I don't sleep. I get super moody and psychotic. I hate it.

I just want a decent night sleep so I can go back to somewhat coping with my life.

I know sleep isn't the only answer to my problems, but it helps, and it helps a lot. I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Re: sleep

@redhead  I understand where your coming from! New meds can mess with your sleep, however if it is persisting for months perhaps mention it to your doctor?
Other advice I've received in the past is: 1. Don't have any clocks facing your bed, seeing the time when you can't sleep will just make you more panicky and frustrated, 2. (Sounds rudimentry) A cup of hot milk before bed can put you out! 3. Create some type of routine that you follow every night, 4. Don't watch any form of screen (TV, computer, ipod) within an hour of going to bed,  and 5. (And I think this is the biggest point) It is very common to stress about not being able to fall asleep, especially once it has become recognized as a problem! Understand that reestablishing a sleep pattern may take some time and don't become too frustrated. Becoming annoyed will only keep you up longer! (I recognize how this is much easier for me to type, than it is to actually do!)

On a side note, reading before bed usually makes my eyes feel heavy.  Also, when my mum can't sleep she just gets up and watches tv until she feels she will fall asleep (I don't know about this, but i think its just so she doesn't get too frustrated with not sleeping)

Hope this helps and you start getting some better sleep! Alternatively go out for an absolute bender and then sleep for the next 3 days! (Not really!)

@redhead I completely get what you mean. Sleep is a really important part of good mental health. It puts you in the right pattern to cope with things throughout the day instead of being too tired or exhausted to do anything.

I would be going back to your psychiatrist to talk about the meds if it was me. Sometimes the right medication helps to get your sleeping pattern in sync, and then once you've got it down pat you can start to come off the medication and see how you go.

lanejane

Hey @redhead 

I'm sorry to hear you've had such trouble sleeping. I know it can feel awful when you really crave a good sleep and you just can't get it. I've been in that situation many times and it really is awful. I know you've probably seen this before, but I refer to this factsheet sometimes to make sure I'm doing everything possible to get a good night sleep.

I would also like to echo what @lanejane and @tsnyder have suggested and talk to your psychiatrist about it. Sleep is so important and they really should know that your sleep is being affected by your medication.

I hope this helps a little bit. I'm sorry I don't have the magic answer!

Hi,

Hope you are getting things sorted out and seeing your medical professional about the sleep problem.

I know some medications are better taken in the morning/night time to combat insomnia so definately take up on the suggestions from others about talking to your psychiatrist and also your pharmacist.

I definately know the pain of not being about the sleep. We had bed bugs once and I had a fear of them crawling on me. So I didnt sleep for many nights and actually rented out a hotel a couple of times to get some sleep. I rated that experience as one of my top 3 bad experiences of my life.

We take sleep for granted. Hope you catch some zzz soon.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm hoping I get more than afew hours tonight .
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire
Highlighted

Hey @redhead 

Sleep is definitely super important, I feel terrible without it. I once was put on a new medication for anxiety that resulted in me getting hardly any sleep over a week, it was awful! I ended up going back to my psychiatrist and advising that I couldn't tolerate the side effects and was put onto something different that didn't give me any issues with sleep.

I know that the side effects from some medications slowly subside over time, but given that you've been experiencing this over a few months, i'd strongly suggest that you go back to your psychiatrist and advise that the meds are severely affecting your sleep as @lanejane said. I'm glad I did! 

Let us know how you go. 

Hey @redhead have you ever tried a white noise machine? I have an app on my phone that I find really helpful when my thoughts won't stop racing when I'm trying to sleep. I like the wind and wave ones personally, but there are lots of different sounds you can try out. For some reason that little bit of noise draws some of the focus off my thoughts and it's very soothing. Usually if I set the time for half an hour I'll nod off before it's finished which is huge for me since it can sometimes take me two or three hours of lying in bed to actually fall asleep. Just thought I'd put the idea out there Smiley Happy