cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: socially awkward and lonely

Hey @sociallyawkwardgirl, I'm sorry to hear that your doctor's appointment didn't go well. So I'm assuming your doctor dismissed the idea of you going to group therapy? As for your concerns about taking antidepressants, I haven't taken antidepressants before so I'm sorry that I can't give you a clear-cut answer! However, if you do feel uncomfortable taking them or if something happens that doesn't feel quite right after taking them, then you're free to stop and consult with your doctor about any other alternative treatments. Also, may I ask if you're still seeking one on one counselling?

hi @Esperanza67 the doctor just basically said that she'd send them an email to see if i can get pushed up the waiting list, she didn't really say anything about the group counselling, she basically just said that i need to get in contact with them and they'll figure it out from there. I think it would be good to start with one on one counselling but the thing is i've used up my ten free counselling sessions last year so it will be expensive or they might not take me on at all. I'm a bit worried about the antidepressants i guess because my friend went on them last year and as side effect she was quite unsympathetic, like she was fairly happy but stopped noticing when others where upset or such. idk how to feel about it all

Hi @sociallyawkwardgirl, thanks for the reply! Are these ten free counselling sessions you’re talking about refer to the mental health care plan? Because unless I’m mistaken, I think the ten session limit resets each year such that if you haven’t had any counselling sessions yet this year, you would able to get ten more counselling sessions. Does that make sense? I would double check this with your doctor just in case the government changed the rules or something like that. 

Yeah I’ve heard antidepressants helped a lot people tremendously, but not others. It just depends on the person. Like I’ve said before, unfortunately the only way to find out if they’re helpful for you is that if you take them. But please don’t let this pressure you to taking them if you’re uncomfortable to do so! Have you raised these concerns with your doctor? 

hey @Esperanza67 thanks for all the replies. I had my ten sessions less than a year ago so to get my next ten i'd have to wait till September apparently. I asked my doctor if there was side effects and she just said that i'll feel nauseous for a few days, on the package of the medication it says to not stop the medication abruptly without a doctor saying so, so basically i'd have to be on them for a while anyway so i can't really just take one and then decide i don't want them which makes me feel pretty nervous 

Hey @sociallyawkwardgirl, that sounds right! It is usually 10 sessions in a calendar year OR 10 in a year from when you got the plan. Whichever comes first!
I am sorry that you are dealing with a lot right now and it is making you stressed out. In regards to the side effects, EVERYONE reacts differently and it is really hard to know how you will respond until you take them, as you said. I know that can be really scary and nerve wracking...

Have you been doing anything to ease how you are feeling right now? We are here for you.
—————————

Whether you think you can or think you can’t, either way you are right.
– Henry Ford