cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: stigma and mental health

Thanks @Sophia-RO

And thanks @Bre-RO ❤ I think what you guys do at RO is absolutely incredible and I know we all really appreciate when the community managers also share bits and pieces of their stories! I know I definately do! It just helps being that bit older on here to hear of experiences from you guys too so thanks!! ❤

Highlighted

Hi @Eden1717, thanks for the thread.
Personally, I am honest about my mental disorder with my friends and people that I am close to. I feel like this is part of me, this is what I am, and I can't deny this is my experience. I think speaking out my own mental health issues actually help me to accept myself.
And of course people might put stigma on you because of that. I experienced stigma with my depression at the end last year from my ex and his families. That was a horrible experience and made me feel worthless during that time. It made me feel like I was labeled and people can only see "depression" on me no matter what things I've done, what personality I have.
But there were also many people support me during my tough times, including some peers that I am not close to. So I feel better and still decide to be honest with my mental issues. I am thinking like most people are actually very kind and try their best to understand people like me. And I think we can also choose people surrounding us, such as I will distance myself from people who put stigma me, and hang out with people who accept me.
Also, there are people like you, but there are also people dislike you no matter who you are, no matter whether you have mental issues. (Well, because we are not a 100 dollar note Smiley Very Happy)
Highlighted

Great question. If I'm being honest, i feel like most people around me just simply don't know enough about my condition to even empathise. Like sure they might feel bad for me but then they quickly forget about it.

I have chronic derealisation and anxiety (and some other things in the past) but because there isn't much education about the symptoms, causes, recovery process, they don't know what to do and so they simply don't mention it. I'm pretty transparent about it but I don't feel the need to mention it to everybody simply because i feel like it doesn't help me 

Highlighted

@Macaria That's such a balanced perspective on things; it's awful that you've been negatively judged before because of your condition, but like you said, we can also try to surround ourselves with people that see and appreciate us for who we are as a whole (I really like what you said about the not being a $100 note! Smiley Wink)

@wanderingwasp A lack of awareness/knowledge can be such a big roadblock to feeling understood, or even having that acknowledgement of how things like chronic derealisation and anxiety impacts you. I think it makes sense that you're practical about who to mention it to or not, though I hope that this can be a space where you can always talk about what's been going on Heart