cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: struggling

Hey @scared01

It's really good to hear that you have such a comprehensive professional support network going at the moment, even if you don't always resonate with their support. I am sorry to hear that you do sometimes feel unheard however. It can be really difficult to grapple with explaining how we feel, health wise, and that frustration can be exacerbated when our health professionals don't understand us/the extent of what we are experiencing. While it is really difficult to say something about this, it can be helpful to be blunt in explaining that you are feeling unheard. While I can't guarantee that this will automatically make your GP and nurse understand how you feel, it may at least alert them to the fact that their initial evaluation/assumption was wrong. 

On a happier note, I am glad to hear that you've been feeling a bit less pain recently! I hope that this has continued tonight as well Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hi @scared01 I know we haven’t spoken in a long time but I wanted to say that I think about you often, and I hope things start to improve (mentally and physically) for you soon HeartHeartHeart

Highlighted

thanks @Andrea-RO Heart still not having much luck with my supports but I see them again on Monday and ill be more blunt. I really need help with something and they just literally seem to be brushing it off so its getting more and more frustrating now
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Highlighted

hey! @DruidChild its great to see you
how are you going? Heart
Highlighted

@scared01  I'm so sorry to hear that you've been in hospital. Smiley Sad That doesn't sound very fun at all. I'm glad that they found out what was causing your pain and treated you for it. Heart
I hope that your supports can listen to you and work out a plan moving forward. Would it help to write down your points and refer to them, or give them a note?

Highlighted

thanks @WheresMySquishy yes thankfully they found the cause but ive got a new ailment (well newish as its now 4 weeks) but my gp isn't listening. im quite concerned its something more serious as have literally exhausted every other avenue that I can without needing refferrals to see other people. I see my nurse and gp on Monday and im going to try again, maybe they'll listen to me this time now that ive tried the 3 things they suggested 2 weeks ago 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
Highlighted

@scared01  That must be causing so much stress for you. Smiley Sad
I can relate to your situation. Last month, I had some on and off pain I hadn't had before and went to a different GP as my regular GP was away. I had some tests done over a few weeks but they couldn't find the cause of it. The GP told me it was just an infection and couldn't be a kidney stone because I would be in more pain. He discouraged me from having a CT scan due to my age. I was sceptical though because I was still in pain despite having antibiotics and my test results did not show an infection. It stopped for a few days but then it started up again and I couldn't sleep or eat from it, so on a whim I just went to the local emergency department. They took me seriously and immediately suspected a kidney stone, which they then confirmed with a CT scan after the emergency room doctor told me that the benefits outweighed the risks of it. I have since had two surgeries (one being an emergency) because the stone was causing an obstruction and was too large to pass on its own. They were worried about me developing sepsis, so they also put me on multiple courses of strong antibiotics and admitted me overnight after the first one.
I'm not saying that your situation is the same, but I'm very lucky and grateful that I decided to get a second opinion. I didn't think it was going to be that serious but who knows what would have happened if I had left it? The urologist told me I would have just suddenly gone downhill and there would have been no other symptoms.
I think that sometimes it pays off to be persistent with medical professionals.

Highlighted

wow that sounds bloody awful! @WheresMySquishy I think some health professionals put some of the more serious stuff aside due to our age because its 'unlikeley' but to me unlikely doesn't mean impossible and if things match up to something more serious then its definently worth looking into further!

mine has to do with my brain and with 2 brain tumours on my dads side its worrying me that no one is listening to me. id rather have a test then it come back clear then to be stressing about it wondering whether its something serious or not. ive already done literally everything else including what the drs told me to do and its not any better so theres only 2 things left to rule out before I feel ok stressing less that its nothing overly serious and it could be just something that happens like he dr says.
Highlighted

@scared01  I think that's so true. I was told I am young to have multiple kidney stones, but there turned out to be a family history of them. I have another unrelated condition that usually affects older people but there is a family history of that too. I only know one of one other person who had it around my age.

I think a test would at least give you peace of mind, especially as there is a family history of brain tumours. It can be so scary not knowing what is going on if it is something brain-related. Smiley Sad
It could be an idea to stress the family history and mention that you'd like to have a test to ease your concerns.
One of my relatives had a rare form of brain cancer that also took a while to be diagnosed and was misdiagnosed as something benign at first. Luckily, she has since gone into remission.

Highlighted

yep nothings impossible @WheresMySquishy I can see why they don't want to run unnecessary tests but sometimes it has to be done.
hopefull my gp will listen this time!
im glad your relative is in remission now!