cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

voice

So something weird happened today and I got a new voice. I don't know how or why. I've had the same 4 voices for a while so its really weird having a new one. I don't even know where she came from. I was just walking down the street after my appointment with my casemanager and I could hear her counting. It was quite distressing, but at least I'm ok today. I don't really what to do.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Re: voice

Hey @redhead

That would be scary and distressing but it's good you're acknowledging she's there and not trying to just ignore what's happened. 

I've never had 'voices' so to speak but I have different personalities and it's always been strange when someone new just pops up out of nowhere. I know at least, they come and go for a reason, they have a purpose so that's something to keep in mind. Try not to think of it as something fundmentally 'bad', just focus on learning to adjust to the new voice and getting to them. I kind of see voices as a bit like DID (different personalities) in that they can be intergrated and to do acknwledging them instead of pushing them away and trying to find out why they're there or have come into your head can help with that intergration process. 

The Hearing Voices Network is a great resource if you want to explore that a bit. They have information and resources, this package you can download that has strategies for hearing voices and coping with them and even self-help groups pretty much all over Australia Smiley Happy Might be something worth looking at. Here is a link if you would like to check it out: http://hvna.net.au/

Keep talking to RO about it here. We're all here to support @redhead

Ness. 

Highlighted

Hey @redhead,

That must have come as a surprise for you. I had one experience of hearing a voice in my room call out a name of a friend, and still haven't attributed it to anything in particular, as it happened on a night 10 years ago. That was a little strange. What has your case manager advised? As you explore what this means for you, I hope you'll check out Butterfly's link to the HV networks.

Before I saw already linked to the Hearing Voices Network, in addition may I pop the link to the one in Western Australia, and paste here their key principles, which I am sure you're already familiar with these strategies. I like these cos they are transferable. Hope it's okay.

Thanks for being brave to share. Hope the interview went well today btw, and have a good rest of the day.

**************************************************************************************

Key Principles are:

• Accepting that hearing voices (and related experiences) are valid human experiences.
  • Respecting each person's framework of understanding and beliefs about their experiences.
  • Fostering and enabling the safety and wellbeing of all.
  • Promoting hope
  • Creating safe spaces to come to and share experiences, and network for deeper connection
  • Believing in each person's resilience and capacity to take control of their experiences and recover
  • Working collaboratively and inclusively with other services to develop knowledge and use holistic approaches to recovery.
  • Fostering and supporting self determination and self empowerment
  • Encouraging service providers, families and friends to join and connect with us as allies
Highlighted

I used to go to a hearing voicesv group, but I haven't been for over a year. Towards the end it was doing more harm than good so I decided to stop going. I did get a lot out of the group and learnt a lot. When I started going nearly 3 years ago I was a mess with the voices.
It's just unnerving getting someone new after over 2 years of stability, I know my voices personalities and when they are most likely to hang around, I guess I could use what I learnt through the hearing voices network and learn about this new voice if she decidesb to hang around.

Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire
Highlighted

Hey @redhead, I'm really proud of how incredibly you've handled this. It must've been a scary, stressful thing to endure. Have you thought about talking to your case worker about it? I know you mentioned yesterday that you both have worked on a strategy to keep yourself safe for the next few days, maybe you could discuss this with them too?

Highlighted

@moonwalk I'll think I'll wait til my therapist gets back from holiday next Thursday. This new voice might not even stick around so I want to wait a bit to see how it develops.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire
Highlighted

Sounds like a good plan @redhead. Keep us posted on how you're doing in the mean time. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

I ended up telling my casemanager about it today.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire
Highlighted

How did it go @redhead? Do you feel a bit better now it's out in the open?

Also may I ask what it was about the hearing voices group that was doing more harm than good? If you can identify that maybe you can find another support group that better suits your needs.
Highlighted

@butterfly Wings it I don't really know why it stopped helping, I think the group sessions just started getting me down and I focused too much on the negatives. And I was selfharming quite badly at the time so I was more focused on that then the voices and stuff.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire