cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voices

I know I've done a topic about this in the past but it's getting really bad again. I can't even have a day at tafe without them screaming at me. I can't concentrate or do anything.
My meds aren't helping anymore which is making things even harder. And I'm on a high dose so they can't really increase it anymore. (the new med they started me on was a mood stabilizer not antipsychotic)
I want to give into what they are saying because I'm just sick of them. I need them to go away.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Re: voices

Hey @redhead I think this topic is awesome and totally cool and excellent! 

I am sorry that it's so tough right now. I guess I want to follow up the quesiton i asked you earlier.

Did the Hearing Voices network help you last time? What did they say to do in a situation like this? 

Are you talking to your case manager? 

Hearing voices network didn't really help. I went to the group on and off for over a year. I haven't been for over a year and I have tafe now so I can't go even if I wanted to.

And I'm scared to tell my casemanager how bad it is because I don't want to end back in hospital.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire

It's a tricky one @redhead!

What can you do to stay safe? I hear your reluctance to chat to the Case Manager and the worry about going back to hospital Smiley Sad

I also heard you say in other places on the forum that you wan't to go in to the hospital less if possible. It's got to be tough spot to be in! That being said, the more the case manager knows the more they can do to support you and hopefully help you in that goal of staying safe and not going to the hospital. I want to know: if things stay like this, or start to get worse, will you call them? How much time would you give yourself before you do thi? 

Is there anything that was useful from the Hearing Voices meetings? Like the suggestion playing music on headphones? 

We're all here to talk about how to be safe and get through this! 

Okay I'm reading messages on TwittRO too. So many people asking questions Smiley Tongue 

It sounds like music and walking home helped a little? Sweet! 

I'm doing mindful colouring while listening to music atm, its helping.

Its too late to call my casemanager. And now she is going on two weeks of leave.

There is the mental health helpline if things get worse, but tbh in my experience it's pretty useless, they just get the crisis team to call and they do nothing.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire

Hey @redhead I'm happy that the mindful colouring is helping you out a bit. Music is a saviour, especially if voices are getting pretty bad.
Can I just say that the fact that you did well in your assignment, and that you are willing to help others on here is so admirable. Too many people let mental illness take over their life, and I'm so glad hearing someone that continues to succeed despite how tough things can get.
What other techniques help when the voices are getting worse? Exercise, drawing, music, anything else?
we are what we repeatedly do - aristotle

Music, exercise, art and talking are my main ways of coping with them.
The thing with today was that I was at tafe and couldn't really use my strategies and they kept getting worse. When I left class I was able to use the strategies I know worked in the past.

Does anyone have any tips on what to do while I'm studying?
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire

Hmm, is your TAFE teacher or student advisor aware of what's going on at all @redhead? You might be able to set something up where you can leave class for a few moments to listen to some tunes or talk out loud or whatever makes you feel well enough to get through the rest of the class. Do they tape classes or provide notes somewhere online you can use to catch up on later? Can you doodle on a notepad if art helps distract you?

Maybe if you tell your tafe teacher how music really helps you remain focused (it's up to you completely to tell her that it's to do with mental illness) she may let you have one headphone in during classes and both during study time? Otherwise, maybe stepping out or holding conversations with those around you can distract you from what's going on?
These are only my thoughts, I hope they are helpful although I don't really have experience in this area!
In regards to your medication, @redhead, do you need an antipsychotic as well almond stabiliser? I am merely curious so feel free not to answer I'm just wondering how it all works in regards to medication for psychosis. See, I was taught straight out that antipsychotics are for psychosis and mood stabilisers were for bipolar, but in reality this must vary, as you have shared!
we are what we repeatedly do - aristotle