cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13th March: What action can we take against bullying?

This Friday 13th of March is National Day of Action Against Bullying

What action can we each take against bullying today? 

A lot of us have experienced bullying at some point in our lives - in fact 1 in 4 young people will have experienced it in the last 12 months. 

It feels crappy to be bullied, and it can be hard to know how to deal with it. 

If you do experience bullying, there are 2 ways to deal. Check them out in the video below:

Questions to choose from to answer: 

1. Which option did you choose in the video above? Not respond, or stand up for yourself? Why?

2. Have you ever experienced trolling (which is basically the internet version of playground bullying..) ? How did you respond or cope? 

Last week ReachOut was in the news talking about online bullying and how people cope when they experience it. We had a discussion here about coping strategies if you want to check it out. 

3. Have you ever stood up for someone else being bullied? How did it go?

keep your squad up to scratch.gif

Re: 13th March: What action can we take against bullying?

If you see someone being bullied at school I have found a great way to deal with it is to go over to the person (not the bully) and ask them to sit with you and eat their lunch or invite them to join in with a game you are playing. You don't always have to say something to the bully but publicly showing support for the person goes along way in standing up to the bully and making the person feel included and supported. 

Usually I find that not responding to a bully is quite effective, however it all depends on the circumstance. By not responding to a bully means nothing fuels their fire and they eventually get bored (hopefully) and stop the behaviour. There are some instances however where ignoring a bully means that they might move onto bullying someone else which is not the desired end goal. But from personal experience being the "bigger person" and not reacting to a bully's behaviour means that the bully's actions are somewhat pointless and therefore they lose motivation. I also find safety in not responding to a bully because its avoids confrontation that could turn extremely hurtful or even physical.

1. As someone who was bullied in the past (all through my schooling) I learnt not to respond or stand up for myself as the one time I stood up for myself in high school I got in trouble by the year coordinator. The people who were bullying me went to him (this was after my parents had gotten involved and they had received a talking to warning them) and asked the teacher why should they only get a warning when I had bullied them back. The teacher didn't know the whole story which was me finally getting over all the name calling and the bullying not stopping despite teachers getting involved, had called them something back after they had started doing it to another student along with me. I am still annoyed about the situation all these years later! 

But looking back I wish I had stood up for myself more or at least been more vocal with the bullying, I didn't tell my friends at school what was going on and despite my parents and school counsellor knowing I struggled in silence. I mention it now to high school friends and they are all shocked that I went through it alone.

2. I have experienced cyberbullying but it was over Facebook messenger which meant it was a lot darker. 

3. I did (see above) but when I did it, I got in trouble for standing up which sucked. I then became the person that was happy to help people get through the bullying but I was careful with how I stood up for them. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

Hey there everyone, it's National Day of Action Against Bullying today! 

Bullying is a huge issue in schools, online and workplaces all around us. There can be many reasons someone bullies someone else, it's never a nice feeling. Today is a day where schools all around Australia take action against bullying. Here at ReachOut we have a ton of resources, like the ones linked in the original post, plus a whole heap of articles and more! Including:

We've already had some amazing insights from @Mcro@LovesFood and @ErinsAntics, thank you for sharing! It would be amazing to hear was more of you think about bullying, you can use these questions below or just share your thoughts! 

1. Which option did you choose in the video above? Not respond, or stand up for yourself? Why?

2. Have you ever experienced trolling (which is basically the internet version of playground bullying..) ? How did you respond or cope? 

3. Have you ever stood up for someone else being bullied? How did it go?

@-Cait- @_Artemis_ @Adelina @aebarrie12 @afriendwithweed @AJ16@Andrea-RO @anna_ambushed @Anonymous_Gurl @Ash555 @Avi @AZCI@basketofmonkeys @Blurryphaced @Booknerd @Brendos94 @BunnyWalks@caaalypso @CactusTree @Caitykr @CEVRAM @ChangeMe @Cheeseburger@Chocolatefeather1 @comerfordius @CowboyBebop @cupcakes_032@Definitelynotmitchell @delta413 @DirtWitch @DIVYA @Dleehy2002@dncinginthedirt @dog_lover94 @dontstopmenow @drhalloween @ecla34@Eden1717 @Embarrassed @Erin-RO @ErinsAntics @Esperanza67@Falcon316 @georgiabread @Groovy_Popsicles

-----

Our new guidelines are now live, check them out here!

What a brilliant and incredibly useful thread! 

Generally, I choose to stand up for myself in quite a few situations. When people I don't really know or care that much about have done something to hurt me, I make sure they are aware of the impact that they've had on me, because I don't think it's fair that I should have to suffer because of someone else's words or actions. While the feeling of confrontation is uncomfortable, I often feel like I have nothing to lose, because I already feel unhappy. In my head, standing up for myself is only going to make things better. 

However, the type of bullying or negative situations I find the most difficult to stand up to are those involving people I perceived to be my friends. I often find that it is so much easier to stand up to acquaintances and people I have a very distant relationship with because I don't care if I lose them as a result of allowing my feelings to be heard. However, betrayal often requires you to have trusted someone in the first place, so this makes it 10x harder to stand up to people that I do value and want to continue a relationship with. This is a personal area of growth that I'd like to work on - striking the balance between standing up for myself with my friends and family without cutting them off and eliminating any space for forgiveness and reconciliation. 

3. Have you ever stood up for someone else being bullied? How did it go?

For me, standing up for other people is a much easier option than standing up for myself. I will always go into bat for someone else, because I find it easier to identify bad behaviour when it is directed towards others rather than myself. I have a vivid memory of standing up for a girl at school that was being picked on for being bad at sports. I had no qualms about coming to her aid, because I knew that no matter how the confrontation ended or made me look, I knew she would appreciate having someone stand up for her. Overall, the bully left her alone after that, at least for a while, so I would say it was a success! Not only that, it made me feel great that I was able to support her! 

Thanks @queenP  - so many great insights in this thread hey!! 

So good to hear from you about how you deal with bullying. 

It's very true that it's often easier to stick up for other people than ourselves. 

Heart