cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

8th March: Inspiring women for International Women's Day!

This Friday, 8th of March, it's International Women's Day! 

It's a day to celebrate the women in our life, and recognise the hard work that has been done to create a more equal world. Equality for women is more tangible than ever before, but there is still work to be done. 

In the lead up to Friday, I've started a list of inspiring women to celebrate and look up to! Who can you add to this list? Feel free to in the replies.  

Ms Katherine Johnson
NASA human computer who calculated trajectories for the Apollo space missions by hand. She is turning 101 years old this year.

katherine-johnson.jpg

Malala Yousefasi
Pakistani activist for female education and the youngest Nobel Prize laureate- she is currently 21 years old.

giphy (30).gif

Nova Peris
Nova is a famous Indigenous Australian athlete and activist, being the first Aboriginal Australian woman to become a successful athlete after winning an Olympic gold medal. She is also the first Indigenous woman to be elected to national parliament.

nova-peris-Portrait-1.jpg

Some questions to think about: 

1. Who is a woman/girl in your life you look up to and why? 

2. What can you do to celebrate or show support to a women or girl in your life today? 

3. How can you promote equality in your world? 

Re: 8th March: Inspiring women for International Women's Day!

So awesome @gina-RO!

I'm inspired by lots of my friends, family and colleagues so often! I'm inspired by their hard work, kindness, confidence, creativity and strength.

2. What can you do to celebrate or show support to a women or girl in your life today?
Spend time together, talk to and check in with them and trying to let them know when I'm inspired by them or think they are doing an awesome job at something.

Social activism, regularly talking about feminism and equality with others, reminding myself that the personal is political and checking in with my actions to see if they match up with my values and political beliefs Smiley Happy

Today is International Women's Day! 

Related image

Google has outdone themselves with an amazing Doodle that showcases some brilliant quotes from women all around the world which you can view over here!

I thought I might share some of the women that I find inspirational Smiley Happy

First is an artist named The Latest Kate, she does beautiful cute and inspirational artworks that have beautiful messages. Here is just a few of the amazing pieces she's done!

Image may contain: text

And second is a woman named Catherine Hamlin. She's an Australian gynaecologist who works in Africa helping women with birthing, especially with those who suffer from fistula.

Image result for catherine hamlin

I would love to hear about some of the women who inspire you! They can be in your family, a friend or someone you've never met. Anyone can inspire Smiley Happy

@-Cait- @_Artemis_ @Adelina @aebarrie12 @afriendwithweed @AJ16 @Andrea-RO @anna_ambushed @Anonymous_Gurl @Ash555 @Avi @AZCI @basketofmonkeys @Blurryphaced @Booknerd @Brendos94 @BunnyWalks @caaalypso @CactusTree @Caitykr @CEVRAM @ChangeMe @Cheeseburger @Chocolatefeather1 @comerfordius @CowboyBebop @cupcakes_032 @Definitelynotmitchell @delta413 @DirtWitch @DIVYA @Dleehy2002 @dncinginthedirt @dog_lover94 @dontstopmenow @drhalloween @ecla34 @Eden1717 @Embarrassed @Erin-RO @ErinsAntics @Esperanza67 @Falcon316 @georgiabread @Groovy_Popsicles @hellofriend @Hozzles @hpc95 @ILAUVEDEN @indieinsanus @IsabellasRecovery @Jane_Rose @Jardin @Jenesahill @Jesika @JonoG @keezeik @Ladybug @LankanBeast @lennycat2017 @Libellule @linkinpark13 @Lonelyboy17 @LovesFood @Lyndsey

-----

I am finishing with ReachOut this week, say good-bye here. I'll miss you all!

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Image result for ruth ginsburg

What an extraordinary woman who fought for women's rights and equality! 

All the women being mentioned on this thread are so amazing and inspiring! 

All the women in my life inspire me in some way Smiley Happy Colleagues, fellow mods/builders/users here on RO, family and friends. 

Tell them how much you appreciate them! Write a letter, tell them in person, send them an e-mail or Facebook message them. Heart 

Show everyone kindness. I think sometimes it can be as simple as that. 

The women in my life have always inspired me to be strong and independent, they taught me to have immense respect for myself in what ever way i wanted to. They support me in everything i do and even though we may not share ALL the same beliefs, i believe they were the people who made me believe women were strong and just as capable as men in all and every fields. Im a proud feminist, and i owe that partly to them. Thankyou for raising me to not be afraid to use my voice, thankyou for teaching me its okay to stray from the crowd, its okay to stand up for something, for someone. Thankyou women everywhere. There is yet progress to be made, but we are getting there, never give up. Know your worth. HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMENS DAY

My first thought was Demi Lovato.

In a personal sense, I look up to my mum, because she faces mental health challenges every day yet she always does her best to show us how much she loves us and even on her worst days, I know that she still cares about us. 

I'm a day late, but I want to text/call them to remind them how important they are to me, and how remarkable I think they are as human beings Smiley Happy

This is one I think about a lot. I think by speaking out when I see/hear something that doesn't reflect equality, and by admitting when I don't know something about a minority or how to act in a way that would foster equality. E.g. I admit that I don't know nearly enough about Indigenous culture or how to support equality among Indigenous women.

Thank you to all the wonderful users on the forums, who enrich my life everyday! Smiley Very Happy  

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

There are many women around me who are an inspiration to me, including all the strong women here on ReachOut. Growing up and even today, my mom happens to be my inspiration as all that I am today is because of her values and morals.

We can and we should celebrate women every single day because what they do is unachievable by others. According to me, the best way to support women is by empowering them to reach for the stars, providing them moral support and instilling confidence in them.

Standing up for yourself and standing up for the women around us.

@May_  

Love your reflections on this! I love what you said about "the personal is political and checking in with my actions to see if they match up with my values and political belief". 

That can be a tough thing to do, but a worthy thing to be thinking about and striving for!  Heart

@missep  Thank you for sharing Ruth Bader Ginsburg - looked her up after you shared and wow so inspiring! 

I love the simple power in showing others kindness.