cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

A new guideline

I mentioned over on TwittRO a few days ago that we had a person on here who was talking a lot about their religion and telling people that it was the answer to ALL the problems. They weren't really listening to what other people were asking for help with or respecting that a lot of people come here to talk about mental health which made me pretty unimpressed.

Anyway,  I asked you all what your thoughts were on this. @Sophie-ROand the bosses at RO had a chat to me about it all too.

While it's totally great if you have a faith and/or religion that has a great deal of meaning for you. I also think it's important to ask for a person's consent before sharing that religion or proposing it as a solution to a problem.

I've been asked to create a new guideline, and I want you folks to let me know what you think of this one and what we should change if we need to:

While it's okay to share your experience with your faith and we recognise that this is very important to a lot of people, it's not okay to push your faith on to other people.

Hit me up with your thoughts!

Highlighted

Re: A new guideline

I agree @Ben-RO

I already mentioned this in the TwittRO thread but when you propose it as the solution when the person hasn't mentioned religion or given consent, it can make things worse or make them or others uncomfortable.

I do have one question though, what would you define as "push your faith"?
Highlighted

Two thoughts on that @N1ghtW1ng the first one is if it's unclear then we need to tweak it, perhaps we could say 'promote your faith'? And I guess by push your faith i meant that we shouldn't be telling other people that religion is the solution, although i think if it's part of someone's solution it's important to respect that.

Highlighted

@Ben-RO I really like this idea and I think it's very nec...

@Ben-RO I really like this idea and I think it's very necessary. I think 'push your faith' makes perfect sense, because for someone who doesn't associate themselves with any sort of religion it can feel like somebody is forcing or pushing faith on to them. Does that make sense?
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

@Ben-RO

agree there needs to be a clear guideline around this. I put religious beliefs as being consistent with any other personal experience. It's not okay to push any person to accept that you have the solution to their problem, whether that is accepting jesus as your saviour or that the latest fad diet changed your life. You can share how that helped you but I think it crosses the line of acceptable behaviour if you start saying that this is the only way or the person keeps on repeating the benefits of their personal experience and not listening to the other person. 

I think the wording is good for the guideline maybe you could add an example at the end to describe a brief (made up) situation of someone crossing the guideline and "pushing their faith on to another person". E.g. "Finding god really helped me to discover my identity and become a better person" (ok).... "you should believe in God because it helped me" or "you have to believe in God if you really want to get better" (not ok)

If you banish the dragons, you banish the heroes
- Andrew Solomon
Highlighted

Okay Crew, I've kind of shuffled things around a bit to fit the two posts about guidelines but they are both now updated.

I am still heaps open to discussion about all this though, even if it's just little tweaks and re-wording. I want this to be something we all get to make together if it's important to you.

Highlighted

Err @Ben-RO you posted the new guideline in the always section
Always:
Push or promote your faith to other people

Highlighted

Ps I have no idea why my whole reply came out as the title up there
Highlighted

@Ben-RO It was sort of clear, I was more asking for an example, like @RecoveryandHope mentioned as some people might not see it as pushing their faith, if that makes sense.
Highlighted

Haha good catch with it being in the "always" section @j95

Other than that I think it reads pretty well @Ben-RO

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________