cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ask Our Builders Almost Anything!

What your is your favourite part of being a builder?

Being a builder is great and there are many good things about it but i think one of my favourite things was learning more skills so that now i can communicate, encourage and interact better then before Smiley Happy
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

What is your favourite part of being a builder?

I love learning active listening, empathy and peer support skills which I can draw upon in future positions. Speaking as an introverted person, being a builder has greatly increased my self-confidence and pushed me out of my comfort zone. I also find it rewarding to encourage people to come up with their own solutions and set goals for themselves. I love hearing about the positive changes people make in their lives.

yes i agree with you! @WheresMySquishy im also introverted so helped to bring me out of my shell so to speak
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

I love that I am able to practice some skills I've learned, such as active listening and understanding boundaries, to helping others. I've always been passionate about both mental and physical health, and being able to share and practice this in an inclusive and compassionate community is really empowering for me Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

@scared01 I agree with you!I definitely feel a lot more confident about communicating with others now that I have learnt a few new skills Smiley Happy

Hey! I'm a bit late to this thread but I'd give a go at the awesome questions we have so far! Smiley Very Happy

How did you hear about or become involved in the ReachOut builders program?
A lot like the others, I was researching volunteer opportunities to help gain experience for a future in psychology + to help with possible postgraduate admissions. I signed up to be a part of the RO Crew a while ago, but as there wasn't a lot of opportunities in my area I felt like I could do more and stumbled upon the Builders program. I'm a much better communicator online than in person, so I figured it would be good for some social experience whilst also improving my communication skills!  

(I realise my answers are going to be almost the same to @WheresMySquishy, haha! I guess great minds think alike?)

I love being a part of this community and helping others build upon their strengths and ideas. Again, I'm quite introverted with a lot of social anxiety and self-doubt, so being a Builder and reflecting on the responses to my words has helped improve my self-confidence and encourage me to speak out a little more. 

Hello everyone! I'm going to tag in a few users who have joined the forums recently (welcome new users!) who might like to ask some questions for our fantastic and awesome team of builders!

@youthmeerkat  @StormFiber @Sammyye  @Aether2780 @purplecats @adeadfish @Brina @smileandwave @arkhamranger @idontreallyfeellikedoingtheworktoday @BJH @SomeoneNADJS 

what’s a builder tho

@Sammyye-
A builder is a member of the RO team who has volunteered to 'build up' the community! We get trained in peer support and are always eager to listen and support fellow RO members. Smiley Very Happy

my favourite part about being a builder is the fact that I can help people. While still in school this gives me a way to help people (probably not to the extent where people feel 100% better, but to some extent to help them cope), and what I've discovered is that I LOVE IT!