cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bullying

Why do you think people bully others?

I think there is a number of reasons why some people bully others. I think a lot of people feel big when they make other people feel small. Often people bully when they are insecure about themselves, and when that insecurity is threatened or bought up for them in anyway then they start to pick on other people, to make themselves feel powerful or to redirect negative attention off themselves. 

Unfornately some people have been bought up to think that phsyical violence and abuse is the best way to get what you want, which isn't correct, so some people bully others because they don't know what else they can do that doesn't harm other people. 

Some people don't realize they are infact bullying somebody else until another person mentions that their behaviour is bullying. All the things that come under the umbrella of silent bullying can be disguised as just typical 'school kid' behaviour, even though it doesnt just happen in schools. If somebody is constantly being ignored, excluded from their peers or spoken to unfairly, they may feel bullied but the person doing this may not realise that consistently negative unwarranted behaviour towards somebody is bullying so it is important to speak up. 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Lol so late to the discussion, but here goes anyways:

Why do you think people bully others? 

Like @j95 mentioned it can have a lot to do with insecurity, and not feeling like you have agency or ability to just be you and do what you want, so you attempt to dominate others to hide your own insecurity.

I also think bullying can happen when a person is at the top of some kind of hierarchy and bullies just because they can, and can get away with it. The most obvious example might be Mean Girls (lol), but when someone complains about bullying to the relevant people and nothing is done then it just tells people who bully that their behaviour is okay. So in a way communities have collective responsibility for bullying, not just the victim or the perpetrator

3. Bullying doesn't just happen in schools, where else does it happen? and what can be done to prevent bullying in these places?

3. Bullying doesn't just happen in schools, where else does it happen? and what can be done to prevent bullying in these places?

Hell no not just schools, I have witnessed or heard about bullying in the workplace between adults, also at home between siblings, ANYWHERE there are people, there is potential for bullying unfortunately.

I think sometimes if someone who is being bullied stands up, or talks to someone in a position with a bit more power than them, like a teacher or boss, they can help.
Also, if those witnessing help out when they see bullying occur in front of them, that can help build up a group against the bully and help put them in their place!!!
Coming from a different perspective, I think that if a bully themself has someone to talk about their worries or situation that may be causing them to feel the need to bully, the problem can be cut down at the source.
It's not always as easy as these three options though, that's why there are so many websites and talk groups that visit schools to build awareness of the damaging effects of bullying!
I'm interested to hear about some more ways to help reduce bullying
we are what we repeatedly do - aristotle

Because this conversation sort of went nowhere I made these instead and I'll make some more about how we can prevent bulllyng and stuff.

untitled-infographic.jpg

untitled-infographic-2.jpg

untitled-infographic-3.jpg

You made these? WHOA.

Yeah @Ben-RO I'm home from work today so using my time wisely

Holy crap they are so good, what did you use to make em? Sorry to derail the conversation, i just am heaps stoked Smiley Happy

This internet site called Picktochart, it's pretty cool!

HOLY WOW @j95 you are totally killing it on this thread. I'll admit I kind of forgot about this but now that I've found it - HIGH FIVE BOMB

What kind of people Bully?

What i think about this I always think about that meme that floats around tumblr a lot that's something like "you never know what someones been through or what their story is" it's actually nothing like that quote but you get the gist. I think people that bully other are often unsure of themselves or maybe doing it because other people are or they like feeling powerful. I don't really know... I spent a long time forgiving the people that bullied me because I realised they were kids and didn't really know what they were doing, I guess I just really believe that there is good in everyone some people are just misguided or lost and that manifests itself in lots of ways

Bullying doesn't just happen in schools, where else does it happen? and what can be done to prevent bullying in these places?

ONLINE!!

I honestly think online bullying is the worst thing about technology. THe keyboard warriors, and I think they really hurt and damage people and we wont really know the true consequences of this for a long time. I was bullied in a really awful way in high school through this nasty blogpost someone wrote about me and another girl that it happened to left the school and changed her name. Smiley Sad

Also the workplace and any where there is power play and different personalities. Differences are unfortunately inevitable.

Announcements
Share what's on your mind:
Head here and click "start a topic"

Not sure where to start?:
Head here and say hi!
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 205 guests
Please welcome our newest community members:
Top High Fived Authors