cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you live in SA, WA, NT or TAS?

Lately myself and a couple of other mods have been talking about the lack of geographical diversity that exists on the forums. For example, the ReachOut office is based in NSW, while nearly ever single mod I've met over the years has been from Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane.

We want the forums to be a truly Australia wide community, and we're wondering what we could do to improve this. Is there something we're missing? Can we be doing something better to reach young people not living in the Eastern mainland states, get them posting and being active members of the fourm community?

We'd love to hear your honest thoughts and ideas Smiley Happy

Re: Do you live in SA, WA, NT or TAS?

@ErinsAntics @redhead @Bananatime04

I’m from tassie! And I have no idea how to make more people join?? I came here because of a referral from beyondblue so maybe you could somehow connect with other services and maybe ask if they could do the same thing?? I have no clue... sorry

Curious, does the western states need different types of support in comparison to the eastern coast states? I would have thought the type of support would be roughly the same, but I could also be TOTALLY wrong. xD

I suppose it does make sense for the majority of mods / folk here to be from QLD / NSW / VIC considering those states make up some 80% of Australia's population? You'd expect that about 1 in 5 people who sign-up are from the other 4 (5 inc. ACT) states, I'd have no idea if that's the reality though.

@nykeYeah, I could've clarified things a bit better in my original post. Basically, the anecdotal stats seem to be more like 1 in 20, as opposed to 1 in 5. South Australia in particular seems to just not exist on the forums, both in the moderating team and among the general forum community Smiley Sad

There are a bunch of reasons why this could be the case. Maybe we're not advertising enough in these states? Maybe we don't have enough referral connections with state-based services? Maybe basing GRs on AEST/AEDT makes it too hard for those in other timezones to join in? Our after hours staff also stop moderating at about 10:30-11pm AEDT each night, which is only 7:30-8pm AWST. It could be that Perth-based users are coming to the forums after their dinner time, seeing that the threads are dead and not bothering. We're not entirely sure Smiley Tongue (and it's totally okay if you guys aren't either, it's just important to involve the community in this process Smiley Happy)

@Bananatime04that's actually really useful info to know! Heart We've talked as a team about needing to form more connections with other organisations - it seems that should be a priority for us Smiley Happy

Another idea that has come up is having state-based threads in Hanging Out to chat in? Obviously they'd still need to be anonymous, but perhaps having a space for new users to connect with people from the same general area (and in the same timezone, with no debate as to whether potato cakes should be called potato scallops - looking at you, NSW Smiley Tongue) could be useful.

What do you guys think of those ideas? Worth a shot or kind of pointless?

That's actually a really interesting point about the timezones! I'd imagine it would have a significant effect, even causing west-Australians just using mental health forums other than this one.

I don't think trying out some state-based threads would hurt though, worth a shot.

I think its definitely worth a shot!

What do you mean potato cakes or potato scallops??

@Bananatime04 Ok so I live in Victoria, and I found out a few years ago when I was dating someone from NSW that what we call "potato cakes", they call "potato scallops". All I can think of when I hear it is some sort of mussel/clam with potato stuffed in it hahaha

Yeah it’s potato cake...

Yeah @lokifish, Perth-based users are like 2 hours behind Brisbane (me) and I'm an hour behing NSW and I think Victoria... It's difficult with the time zones bahaha.
I do agree with @nyke though, Queensland, Victoria and NSW do have a larger population.
Wow, SA just doesn't seem to have many? That's odd..
I reckon it's def worth a shot @lokifish, just checked out the threads and that's awesome! Reckon that'll attract some people hehe.
What are potato cakes? Sound gross..