cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I’m hurting right now

Despite things going ok I’m my own life, work wise and things of that nature, I have been hit really hard by the awful situation in America and I’m really struggling right now. I don’t know what to do to help. As an Indigenous person I have also experienced pain and hurt because of my identity, and I wish I could do something more to help others. 

Highlighted

Re: I’m hurting right now

@Saltwaterdreamtime what's going on in America is really upsetting, and I can only imagine it would be worse if you've been affected by similar issues...

There are a few things that I've seen online that people who can't be there can do to help, would you like me to go get some ideas for you?

Or if you just need someone to listen I'm here if you'd like to talk to me.

Highlighted

@Tiny_leaf
I’m not big on social media, and I don’t feel comfortable attending any events that might be planned for the coming weeks, COVID19 is still a very very big issue so we shouldn’t be putting either one aside for the sake of the other. So those two options are no go for me.

I just feel sad, and outraged. But I don’t feel like I belong anywhere where I can express that.
Highlighted

@Saltwaterdreamtime I'm the same honestly, it's leaving me feeling pretty helpless...

A couple of options are if you have the money donating, for example to a bail fund, or if that's not an option there's also something I heard of that I think's called Vidoes for a Vision. It's a collection of songs by black artists, and the money raised from advertising go to organisations in America that are able to make a difference.

Do you feel okay expressing it here? You're welcome to if you'd like to.

If not, are you able to talk to your partner or friends?

Highlighted

@Tiny_leaf I just don’t know where to start.
I can’t really talk to them, just don’t feel like it at the moment
Highlighted

Hey @Saltwaterdreamtime

I totally understand where you are coming from, it incredibly painful and heart wrenching to see what's going on in America right now, and it's really difficult to know what to do and how to help from Australia. I've seen some really amazing posts and ideas that people have put up across the internet today, listing ways to help. I can post them here in a little bit, I'll just need to find the posts again Heart 

Also I don't want to understate the importance of taking care of yourself in a time like this as well. Seeing such media can be exhausting and traumatic, especially for other marginalised individuals. If you like we can also brainstorm some self-care strategies for you right now as well?

Highlighted

@Andrea-RO both of those would be good thanks
Highlighted

Hey @Saltwaterdreamtime

I've managed to find some of the resources I had mentioned earlier. I do want to give a heads up/trigger warning, there are some distressing content about the protests and the Black Lives Matter and Aboriginal Lives matter movements. 

#blacklivesmatter: a google document that lists a whole bunch of information and resources, including petitions that you can sign, places to donate, and resources to help educate yourself and others

Z Feed: An article that has been written with an Australian audience in mind, with a focus on what to do and how to help from here

Frankie: This article focuses on Black and First Nations Australians, and what the broader Australian community can do for them right now, listing both Australian and US not-for-profit and social justice groups  

I hope this helps Heart Heart

In terms of self-care strategies, maybe we can come up with some plans for how to approach the current situation and take agency, or if you want some time and space to go through those by yourself, we can also focus on distraction techniques for now Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Thanks @Andrea-RO I’m not in the space right now to look at them.
Highlighted

that's no stress at all @Saltwaterdreamtime Smiley Happy