cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia & Biphobia

justice protest GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

IDAHOBIT is an important reminder of where we have come from and where we are going as a community. Being a queer person born in a rainbow family, days like this are so important to me and I’m sure they are to many people in this community. 

30 years ago - on May 17, 1990 - the World Health Organization removed homosexuality from the Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems. International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Interphobia & Transphobia (IDAHOBIT) celebrates LGBTIQ people globally, and raise awareness for the work still needed

We wanted to give a shout out to anyone in our community who raises awareness as a queer person or ally. If you would like to take action there are some ideas on the IDAHOBIT website here

There are also some zoom backgrounds they have put together, if you feel like showing solidarity in the countless virtual hangouts/meetings we are all doing more of these days. Here is an example: 

Discussion: 

What makes you proud to be part of the LGBTIQA+ community? 

What action do you take as an ally, to combat homophobia, transphobia and biphobia? 

Highlighted

Re: International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia & Biphobia

@Bre-RO Yay!! IDAHOBIT!!! 🏳️‍🌈

I love the sense of community. And also the rainbows and sparkles.

I love having people who are willing to accept and understand me.

One thing that really helps with being an ally is speaking up against the various phobias.

It can be really isolating to be the only one speaking up, and "outing" ourselves isn't always safe.

It can be really valuable to have others stand up for us when it isn't safe for us to stand up for ourselves.

Also as a non-binary person, it's really good when people use inclusive language. (E.g. when talking about a non-specific person saying "they" instead of "he or she")

Highlighted

Re: International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia & Biphobia

@Bre-RO  Thanks for reminding me about this day!

What makes you proud to be part of the LGBTIQA+ community? 
I love how the community is so welcoming and it feels great to be validated by other people who have gone through similar experiences. It's a great feeling to know that there are other people like me and that my sexuality and expressing it isn't wrong.

What action do you take as an ally, to combat homophobia, transphobia and biphobia?
I try to educate myself about other members of the sexuality spectrum. I also like supporting other people through watching and taking part in events and validating their experiences. I often try to call out discrimination or prejudice I see too.