Highlighted

Re: Let's Chat: Body Image

Yes , you have reason

Highlighted

What do you want ?
Highlighted

I think this is a great topic to talk about - it is reaffirming to know that we are not alone in our experiences, and it makes me feel reassured hearing how some of you have overcome your own negative experiences regarding your body image. Thank you for sharing Heart

I feel like I am working towards a more positive outlook towards my body, but I must admit I think my attitude towards my body and my view of my own body image is still very much affected by how closely I feel my body matches beauty standards on any given day. The days I think I look 'slim' or my tummy feels flat are the days I think of my body the most attractive, which is something I am actively working to change and that makes me a bit disappointed in myself tbh! 

I am working on overcoming this by also reminding myself to appreciate my body for all of the actions it can do, not just how it looks. When my body allows me to go for a walk, smash a work out or helps me experience how good food can taste, I remind myself how none of this is affected by whether my tummy is perfectly flat or if my body matches those of instagram fitness models.  I also try and make sure I avoid negative self talk by trying to think about my childhood self and how she would feel about all of the thoughts I have about my own body. I've still got a lot of work to do but I'm trying! 

I would love to hear how other people have overcome negative self-talk about their body and how you have learnt to embrace your body regardless of how it matches societal norms! 

Highlighted

Hey @marlee

I really enjoyed this post and I definitely agree with a lot of what you’ve said here. I  find I too constantly compare myself to others and measure myself against beauty standards. Something I have been trying to do to reduce these negative feelings is limit my social media intake. I have set time limits on my phone for all of my social media apps, so once I have been on them for a certain amount of time within the day the apps lock. I think it has really helped in making me more accountable and intentional about how I use social media, rather than allowing myself to mindlessly scrolling. 

I also like what you said about appreciating your body for what it does, I like to remind myself how great fun I should be for my body allowing me to do the things I love and that help me feel good like walking, running and going to the gym. I too try to focus on how much stronger I am getting or how much fitter I am getting because of what my body allows me to do. I use this kind of self talk to try and shut down the negative comments about having a flat stomach as well. Sometimes it can be a bit of a back and forth argument going on in my own head, but I think it’s still every little bit that helps to interrupt that string of negative self talk. 

It is so good of you to share this post, I think what you’ve said is really relatable and will be very helpful for others as well 

Highlighted

Thanks for being so honest when sharing with us here @marlee. I just wanted to quickly pop in and comment that I think this is definitely an important topic that needs to be discussed! I think that the strategies that you have shared are really awesome, it is really nice to hear that you have found them to be helpful! Thank you for helping to promote a body-positive space here on the forums Heart
Highlighted

Cool
Highlighted

Hi @Lottie! I love the idea of limiting social media use - sometimes it can be so easy to scroll and scroll and not realise how many posts have a unhealthy messages disguised as health and fitness. 

Is there a particular app you use to set time limits on your phone? I think I might give it a go! 

That is great to be able to acknowledge negative self-talk as it arises and combat it with all of the great things our bodies can do! I think bringing awareness to negative thought patterns is a really important first step to swapping them out for more positive, kinder thoughts about ourselves and our bodies. I definitely agree that every little bit helps , and it's great to acknowledge and be proud of our progress Heart

Highlighted

Hi @marlee,

I don't know what kind of phone you have, but for iPhones you can set time limits in the settings. I personally have a time limit from 9pm to 7am (so I wake up and go to the gym before checking my phone and don't use it too close to bedtime) and then as well as that I have specific hourly limits on certain apps, such as instagram. So I can only use if for so long during the day and then it locks me out. 

Highlighted

Hi @HelloHi

I just wanted to pop back on to this chat that we were having. Sorry for disappearing a bit. 

I just wanted to check in with how your week this week has been really? Is there anything you've tried this week to bring a bit more positivity in to your days, or maybe something you could plan for this week coming up?

For me, I have been trying to do some kind things this week for people to show I care. Their reactions has really had a positive affect on me. I sent my friend a surprise housewarming gift, as she has just moved to another city. She didn't know it was coming, but was super excited when it arrived, and honestly the anticipation of waiting for it to arrive and then receiving the news she had and was very excited was the same, if not better, as receiving a gift myself. I also sent something to my parents, who don't live in Australia, just to let them know that I love them, I miss them, and I appreciate the time they take to chat to me on the phone every few days. They're just little things, but they've made me feel better about missing home and missing my friends. Their excitement has made me so happy as well. 

Obviously, that example is very specific to me, but maybe there is something you could do this week to consciously change things up and feel like this is something special I am doing to make me happy?

Would love to hear anymore ideas for my upcoming week as well!