cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Let's Chat: Coronavirus

Hey @Claire-RO thank you for checking in and for your kind words! It's going to be difficult for sure, but I suppose we all have to accept, adjust and adapt to a new normal for a while. We are all allowed to dance or cry or paint or scream our emotions about this out Smiley Happy and I fully intend on doing all of the above!

@trashconvertersthat is so awesome! Honestly, nothing better for a podcast than someone's true enjoyment and passion about what they're talking about. Get it!! Can't wait to hear how channeling into the podcast world goes Smiley Happy and smart too - ain't no time better for a podcast, I'm on about three per day now!! Smiley LOL

Highlighted

It's funny but does anyone get chest pain when they have a panic attack? I woke up really early this morning (funny because I exercised a heap yesterday, but I think it's my nerves). And I thought the only reason that I go outside is to take the dogs for a walk. Normally I will go when it's not peak hour i.e. lunchtime because that's when most people aren't out and such. I also try and stay away from people. Apart from that I stay inside, and make sure that I clean EVERYTHING whatever I touch. I also sanitise before and after taking my dogs for a walk. At the moment I am using an app for meditation, but I still feel quite anxious....

Highlighted

Hey there @keezeik . 

I know that a lot of people are experiencing heightened anxiety at the moment, and I'm sorry that you're having a rough time with panic attacks. I would encourage you to have a chat to a health care professional about the type of chest pain you're experiencing when you have a panic attack as it's always a good idea to have this stuff checked, HealthDirect are available 24/7 on 1800 022 222 and they also have a symptom checker  tool 

which is a great way to get advice. A lot of GPs are now doing phone appointments too. 

It sounds like you're being really vigilant with hygiene precautions which is great, and taking your dog for a walk is an excellent way to get fresh air and exercise, which is so important for our mental health! What kind of dog do you have? 

Good on you for using an app for meditation too, it sounds like you've already taken heaps of steps to look after your own mental health. ReachOut also have a lot of resources on coping during COVID . 

I know I've personally found them super helpful! There's articles on everything from self-care, to ways to manage the current uncertainty. 

How are you feeling today? 

Check out our community activities calendar for April 2020 here
Highlighted

Hi @Janine-RO Well I'll most likely bring it up with my psychologist when I see her next week. I have a west highland terrier Smiley Happy . I see thank you, I will have a look at them. I'm okay for now.

Highlighted

Hey guys,

I'm not feeling too great and this whole virus situation is really starting to hit me. I keep trying to bury my head in the sand but I feel like it's getting too hard. 

I'm trying to stay off social media cause I know it makes me feel worse but I'm struggling. Does anyone have any suggestions on how they're maybe staying off things like FB at this time? 

Highlighted

Hey @MB95!

I am about to log off but I thought I would quickly respond to your post. In terms of limiting FB, there's a couple of things you can do. The first is to download a procrastination blocker app. There are usually a bunch around, including ones for you computer, where you can set hard limits for how many minutes/hours you can access Facebook a day. Another thing you can do is something I had done a couple of years ago to reduce stress around the news, and it was to block News FB Pages from appearing in my feed. You can go all out and block everything, or if you still want to stay connected, you can keep a couple of reliable sources you trust most (I use ABC and SBS). I hope this is useful!

Highlighted

Thanks @Andrea-RO that's awesome! I'll let you sign off now but I might ask for your help with getting it all sorted tomorrow cause I'm absolutely useless with technology!! It's just really starting to affect my mood and I want to try and put things in place to help a bit so I don't end up back where I was a couple weeks ago.

Highlighted

No stress at all @MB95! I think that the Day team may be able to help, but if not I'll be back Saturday morning and we can go through it then Smiley Happy)

Highlighted

Heya @keezeik - as @Janine-RO mentioned you have already taken some big strides towards coming to terms with your increase in panic attacks. I hope when you tell your psych you can get some more guidance on how to manage. Panic attacks are so horrible to experience but the good news is that you can reduce the frequency and severity of them! 

@MB95 let me do some research on some good apps for limiting time on social media and also shoot away with any questions you have around reducing news on your feed - or anything else you think will help.

Highlighted

@MB95 if you have an iphone, you can actually limit apps in settings Smiley Happy also if you use the extension focusd (it works on chrome idk about other ones, that is also quite good on limiting social media.