cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Let's Chat: Coronavirus

reach GIF by zolloc

It’s been a big start to the year with lots of world news that can start to get a bit much.It’s no surprise that seeing updates about the Coronavirus has been stressful for some people. 

If you are feeling anxious about this virus, we want you to know that you don’t have to struggle in silence. Feel free to have a chat about it here with us. As always, we are here to listen and support you through tough times. 

What personally helped me wrap my head around the Coronavirus was getting the facts. I’d really encourage everyone to have a read through them here and check out the links at the bottom of this post: 

• Australia is yet to report any deaths from the virus and globally the fatality rate is 2%, which is significantly lower than other recent major outbreaks. It’s also good to keep in mind that we are lucky to have a good healthcare system that is working hard to make sure we’re all okay. 
  • There are protective measures in place at all airports and travel bans in place to reduce the transmission of the virus.
  • Person to person spread of corona viruses generally occurs between people who are close contacts with one another. A close contact is someone who has been face to face for at least 15 minutes, or been in the same closed space for at least 2 hours, with a person that was infectious.  
  • It’s important not to avoid Chinese people, Chinese products or Chinatown as this can have very negative outcomes for this community. If anyone is at risk of transmitting they will be isolated. There is also a great article here about dealing with and fighting against the racism associated with this outbreak. 
  • Although it can be stressful sitting with the uncertainty of a new virus, know that scientists are working really hard to get on top of this. 

What can help to ease the stress is working on the things we do know and can control. Read on here if you need some tips on coping with things out of your control. 

So what can you do? 

• Wash your hands frequently: Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand rub if your hands are not visibly dirty.
  • Practice respiratory hygiene: When coughing and sneezing, cover your mouth and nose with the crook of your elbow or a tissue – get rid of the tissue immediately into a closed bin and clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water. Also, avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth. 
  • If you have a fever, cough and/or difficulty breathing, seek medical care early. Tell your health care provider if you have travelled in an area in China where 2019-nCoV has been reported, or if you have been in close contact with someone with who has travelled from China and has respiratory symptoms.

If you’re still feeling like you need more information, we’ve got some links below that might help to reduce the stress. 

• Get all the information you need on the NSW Health site here
  • If you’re feeling unwell and would like to check your symptoms you can do so here
  • Coronavirus health information line, call 1800 020 080 for people with questions regarding prevention and the spread of the coronavirus
  • Healthdirect helpline, call 1800 022 222 to speak to a registered nurse who can provide advice when you're not sure what to do — whether you should see a local GP, manage the condition at home, or go to an emergency department, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • This is a great info-graphic on coping with the stress of a viral outbreak here

Re: Let's Chat: Coronavirus

I think this is a great thread @Bre-RO. Like you, it also helped me to find out the facts about the virus.

Something I was taught to do when washing my hands is to make sure that I clean in between my fingers. I often forget to do that.