cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Let's Chat: Maintaining Routine

Great thread @Bre-RO and thanks for contributing @MB95. I thought I might contribute too:

Have you changed your routine since spending more time at home? If so, how? 

Yes. I've actually been exercising a lot more since I have more time available. I've also noticed that I've been showering at night time instead of the morning. I think it's because I don't have to leave the house in the morning anymore, and I've been exercising at night time, so it makes sense to shower after exercise. I've also been cooking more!

What has helped you stick to a routine that works for you? 

I think studying and working has helped a lot because I've had to wake up at a certain time most days of the week, which has kept me in a routine.

Has setting a routine been difficult for you? 

It hasn't been too bad. I do have a tendency to over-study though. Like when I get in the zone of studying I find it hard to snap myself out of it, which means sometimes I'll skip exercising at my set time (usually before dinner). This means that I end up exercising really late, like 9-10pm, which ends up keeping me awake later than usual. So, I've had to stop myself from exercising too late. It's also bad sometimes because if I study all day then I end up staying in my pjays all day...which makes me feel lazy even if I haven't had a lazy day. So I find going for a walk at lunchtime tends to help (and gets me out of my pjays).

Highlighted

@MB95  I'm sorry you've lost both your jobs. Smiley Sad Things are so crazy at the moment, especially for young people like us. I've read some surveys that suggest that the unemployment/underemployment rates are much higher than the government is letting on.
I've been applying for jobs, but a lot of them can't go ahead now. In addition to my degree, a lot of them require other kinds of training or courses that aren't happening at the moment due to the pandemic. So while some of the jobs can be done at home, they can't go ahead because the training is unavailable. I've heard people who are doing the postgraduate programs I missed out on getting into also can't get placements and won't be expected to graduate on time. I feel like these online courses have been really helpful to put on my resume.
On the plus side, my grandma finally got approved for a home care package, which means she will be able to access more supports and I will be able to get some respite from caring for her and get to be out of the house more, and some of the places I volunteer with have given me some forms of payment. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Thanks @WheresMySquishy. ❤ I was pretty sad and sorry to begin with too cause it came as a bit of a shock but I think I've adjusted to it now. I have too much uni at the moment to even worry about work so I guess in one way it's a blessing in disguise cause I can just focus on my studies. I finally managed to get on AusStudy so now that my bills are being covered I'm a lot more accepting of losing my jobs. Sucks, but it is what it is and like you said, sadly so many of us are going through it at the moment 😔 It's just a shit time! 

I'm definately going to check out those courses during my break cause like you said - they're good for the resume! When things start going back to normal I would say you'll have people wanting to hire you left right and centre cause you sound very motivating and hard working which is amazing!! Just hearing your stories and then how seld motivating you are on top of it all inspires me, I think you're incredible! 😍 

And that is AMAZING to hear about your grandma! I'm very happy for you! It sounds as though things are slowly starting to look up for you? I hope you enjoy the extra time out of the house! Is there anything in particular you've been wanting to do but haven't been able to that you could do now with the extra time? 

Highlighted

@MB95  I think it can be a blessing in disguise too, especially if you need good grades to go onto further study. That's so awesome how you've been able to get on AusStudy! Smiley Happy I agree with you that we can't really change what happened, and all we can do is just try to turn our lemons into lemonade. I've signed up to a few volunteering things that I can do remotely as well. I've actually been really busy with my volunteering, more so than when I had some face-to-face positions. I hope it will show that I have been keeping busy and learning new skills during this time.

Thanks so much for the kind words! I think you're a great person and your dedication to the forums inspires me a lot.

My sister is still pretty bad, but I'm glad my grandma got approved because it took a long time even though she was marked as high priority. I think it will be a big help having someone to supervise her and do some of her care. I think the next challenge will be getting her and my dad to check out some providers and agree to it. My dad is kind of in denial about how much she needs supports, but he doesn't see how she is during the day because he's usually working. We had her assessed as part of the process and she couldn't do almost anything that required cognition or memory. They asked her the date and she said something like 1950. Smiley LOL The main thing though is that she doesn't have much awareness of risks and how to keep herself and other people safe, and she also causes a lot of trouble for me at home. She doesn't listen to instructions and wants to have her own way, even if it inconveniences other people or causes safety issues. So she needs to be supervised all the time. I found that during times when we've had an external carer, her routine was better and she took more care of her hygiene. I think it will be good to have the extra supports.
I want to go shopping now that more retail stores and restaurants have opened up. I found a bunch of interesting restaurants and markets in the beginning of the year that ended up having to be shut down due to the virus. I really hope they can reopen so I can check them out again!

Highlighted

I think it will definately show how proactive you've been @WheresMySquishy! I know if I was an employer I'd hire you!! 

I am really glad to hear about your grandma cause I feel like when I first came onto RO a few months back you were talking about the struggles with trying to get her support so I'm very glad it's finally come through for you!! And I'm going to take a guess and say this is your dads mum? I can only imagine how hard it would be for him to accept. Is it dementia she has? As cute as it is that she thought it was 1950, it definately indicates how much she needs the extra care. And by the sounds of things some external care might do her some good cause often family can get cheeky and 'take advantage' so to speak if their family members are caring for them all the time. Whereas when its someone they don't know they're more likely to do whats required if that makes sense? Doesn't work like that with everyone, but it sounds like it could be a good thing! 

That sounds exciting! I'm not a huge one for shopping cause it throws my anxiety through the roof but I do LOVE a good restaurant and market! 😍 

Highlighted

@MB95  Thanks so much for the encouraging words! Smiley Happy

Yep, she's my dad's mum. I think it has been hard for him to accept too. He personally doesn't think she has dementia although she has most of the signs of moderate dementia. I've taken some courses on it and volunteer in a nursing home. There are some residents who aren't as bad cognitively as her. He thinks she wouldn't survive being in a nursing home though.
Oh, my grandma definitely takes advantage of us caring for her to do what she wants! She kind of just expects us to be there all the time for her, but that's not possible for us. She was originally going to only move in temporarily, but kept making excuses not to leave and my dad decided that she couldn't live alone after my grandpa died. I guess my parents thought her health was going to go downhill after that, but that was many years ago.
The main reason why she doesn't like having carers around is that she feels embarrassed by her behaviour (which I'm pretty sure is dementia-related) in front of them. She is more motivated to do what a carer tells her to do and present herself better in front of them compared to with us. She doesn't want them to think she is bad for her age if that makes sense, although when she is asked to do anything that requires cognition or memory she can't do those things. She even forgets my name and doesn't recognise her nephews, or relationships between family members. Once she asked my dad whether his mother let him keep pets as a child. Smiley LOL
I, along with other people, been pestering my parents for years to arrange more supports, so I'm really happy the package got approved (she was marked as high priority). I think what happens with a lot of elderly people is that they have something suddenly go wrong with their health and have to go to hospital, where it ends up being decided that they can't go back home and that they need additional care. I think my parents would have just waited for something like that to happen if multiple people hadn't kept telling them to do something about her care.

I've only gone grocery shopping twice this month and ordered everything else online. I live within walking distance of shops and there are so many people there now. Everyone is ignoring social distancing too. It's pretty scary going there. I haven't been to the big shopping centres though so I wonder if things will be different there. Maybe there will be more space to move. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

From what you've shared with me it does sound like dementia so I think getting those extra supports in will really help take some weight off your shoulders! And hopefully, given time, your dad might start to accept it all. It's awesome to hear they agreed to getting help though - that's always a great start! 

I can understand the social distancing.. It's scary to see people not following the recommendations and taking things seriously! When I'm out and getting worried about it I try to tell myself that as long as I'm doing the right thing that's the main thing. And I also try to remind myself that some people that aren't distancing may even live together etc. And also that not everyone is going to have it. It's hard, and I can imagine with your sister and grandma you probably have to be extra careful? So just go where makes you feel safe and as long as you're taking the right precautions I'm sure things will be okay ❤

Highlighted

@WheresMySquishy ohh thanks for checking back in! It sounds like the virus is really messing with things for you... I hope things get better for you soon, I'm glad you've been able to source people yourself at least, it can be hard when the system isn't supporting you as you like :/ Hang in there!

Highlighted

@MB95  I relate to the sleep schedule thing so hard, and uni will be over soon so who knows what will happen then ughh!

Highlighted

@Maddy-RO what kind of exercising have you been doing? I find you midday walk to out of your PJs so relatable too hahaa