cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Life as a forum moderator! Ask us!

@ErinsAntics Wow you are so committed and thats amazing!! Thank you so much for responding, I get the sense that everyone here really loves what they do, and that is really inspiring. It's also good to think about the practicalities and what is looks like on a resume, so I am very impressed!! thanks again

@Esperanza67 thanks so much!! Congratulations on studying psychology, I can really see how this would compliment your studies. I think the idea of not having too much pressure is really nice, and can be really helpful in balancing life!

Thanks again!

Loving this thread so much - incredible insights and great questions too. 

I thought this would be a good place to say that the first step to becoming a Moderator, is becoming a builder. 

Anyone over the age of 16 can apply to be a builder - click here for more info on this and to apply!

Once you've completed the training and become a builder, you can apply to become a Moderator - although you have to be over 18 to be a moderator. 

@lokifish did you want to put the link in the initial post as well? 

Loving the thread @lokifish !

@gezellig I agree wholeheartedly with everything about time spent as a mod Smiley Happy for me I'm around way more than 2 hours a week (as you've probably noted, and that has a lot to do with the fact I'm injured and have put a hold on my job seeking)

@bigavovado not being paid isn't an issue for me. This is because a long time ago when I was in dire need of help ReachOut was there for me. The mods, and the staff really helped me grow as a person and gave me confidence within myself Smiley Happy And for me I am now more in a space where I can give back to the community that helped me so much <3
Absolutely there is support, @Jess1-RO @gina-RO @Amirah-RO are always up to help with anything and help support us through it if we need. So if a users' post is making us feel all the feels they reassure us and help us work through it if we need. We also have the night staff as @lokifish mentioned Smiley Happy

Next weeks Getting Real: SCAVENGER HUNT RO STYLE!
Don't forget to practice self-care regularly!

@Bee has touched on a really important point - most of us have our own lived experiences of mental health issues, and that makes a really big difference in terms of support and understanding within the mod team. For some of us, this is how we found the forums in the first place (If you go to my profile you'll see I've been posting here since 2012 Smiley Tongue) and so modding is a way to give back to the community that's helped us so much. Others will be studying something like psychology/social work/nursing/medicine and that's how they've discovered the mod program. But again, those sort of professions tend to attract people who've experienced issues first-hand Heart Smiley Happy

Yes to everything! I thought I'd stop by this thread since I finally logged on Smiley Tongue

I don't care at all about being paid. I honestly love helping people. Ever since I first joined the forums, I always wanted to become a mod. I was so excited I applied straight when I turned 18, even though I was in another country at the time Robot LOL.
Just being able to share my own experiences and help other people through theirs and have fun just chilling out is so rewarding for me. Smiley Happy

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Hi guys!
Sorry I'm late to post!
Here are some things that I love about being a mod:
- It's really flexible! I work weird hours so sometimes I get home really late but I can still go on RO and I love that you can go on anytime you'd like.
- It is so rewarding. You're really able to support people and make their day a little better.
- You're able to see who needs the most urgent responding. This really allows us to effectively help.
- A great team! I always feel so supported! Just to mention a few people @lokifish @N1ghtW1ng @Bee @gina-RO @Jess-RO @Bree-RO Heart 
- You're able to really become involved in the RO community.

I hope some of you consider to become Mods because it really is a fun thing to do Smiley Happy

Is there some kind of bot that automatically can mark forum discussions as spam, because I created a post that was marked as spam shortly after being posted, even though it was long enough that it would take several minutes to read and then process. Secondly, no one told me why it was marked as spam, because I didn't break any rules with it and it seemed to be in the relevant section, too.
Highlighted

Hi @AnonymousKitten/ @Silenced,

Good question! We do have a bot that triages our posts and automatically flags spam. We have just sent you an email, so keep an eye on you inbox Heart