cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

NAIDOC: Always Was, Always Will Be

This week is NAIDOC week, which is held every year to celebrate the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. 

This year the theme is Always Was, Always Will Be, recognising that First Nations people have occupied and cared for this continent for over 65, 000 years.  We wanted to share these beautiful worlds from NAIDOC about the significance of this week, you can check out the full text here

Always Was, Always Will Be. recognises that First Nations people have occupied and cared for this continent for over 65,000 years.

We are spiritually and culturally connected to this country.

This country was criss-crossed by generations of brilliant Nations.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people were Australia’s first explorers, first navigators, first engineers, first farmers, first botanists, first scientists, first diplomats, first astronomers and first artists.

Australia has the world’s oldest oral stories. The First Peoples engraved the world’s first maps, made the earliest paintings of ceremony and invented unique technologies. We built and engineered structures - structures on Earth - predating well-known sites such as the Egyptian Pyramids and Stonehenge.

Our adaptation and intimate knowledge of Country enabled us to endure climate change, catastrophic droughts and rising sea levels.

For us, this nation’s story began at the dawn of time.

NAIDOC 2020 invites all Australians to embrace the true history of this country – a history which dates back thousands of generations.

It’s about seeing, hearing and learning the First Nations’ 65,000+ year history of this country - which is Australian history. We want all Australians to celebrate that we have the oldest continuing cultures on the planet and to recognise that our sovereignty was never ceded.

For me, I want to continue to learn from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander voices and learn how to be the best ally I can be. ReachOut recently published a fantastic piece on How to be an ally to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people - this comment really resonated with me: 

Step back and provide us with a safe space to speak freely for ourselves about the subjects that are affecting our lives, people and community. 

The article also has an amazing list of resources to help expand your knowledge. 

We would love to hear about how you plan to mark NAIDOC week!

Highlighted

Re: NAIDOC: Always Was, Always Will Be

We did something at our nursing home today to celebrate this week! Smiley Happy We had a table set up with some pictures and other information about this week.

Highlighted

Aww @WheresMySquishy that is so lovely to hear!! Did the residents enjoy it? 

Also, I thought I'd post the events that are taking place for NAIDOC - you can check them all out here. We are also doing something extra special to celebrate for our new Ask Me Almost Anything Lives (formerly Ask A Pro) over here you can pop through your questions. 

Highlighted

@Bre-RO  I personally don't know if any of my residents celebrate this week, but most of them love getting involved in events! They love to celebrate their cultures. We have a map on the wall where residents have tagged where they are from.

Highlighted

I've been seeing so much on social media this week and it amazes me that i'm surrounded by a lot of people who are aware in the importance of this week as well as the importance of representation.

It gets hard sometimes when my family gets racist about it because the conversations can get heated! but nevertheless, no matter what they say, it always was and always will be indigenous land!