cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proposed new guideline - Content Warnings

Heya peoples!

So some of you may have noticed quite a few months ago that we started putting trigger warnings on the title of threads that some people may develop negative feelings upon reading the content.

But now we realised that this isn't necessarily helpful since it doesn't really tell us what we are warning you guys about. That and some people get triggered by the word 'trigger'.

So now we are calling them 'Content Warnings' and we want your input. After all, our community guidelines are made by the community, for the community.

After much discussion with the builders, we have come up with a proposed suggestion, but now we want to run it past the rest of our amazing community. Smiley Happy

So the idea is to have a member/user put the content warning at the top of their post, with the wording something like this:

Content Warning: This post discusses themes around 'x'. If at anytime, you feel distressed, overwhelmed or in need of someone to talk to, please don't hesitate to contact Lifeline on 13 11 14, or Kids Helpline on their chat service (or 1800 55 1800). 

Or if it is something to do with fv/dv or sexual assault, 

Content Warning: This post discusses themes around 'x'. If at anytime, you feel distressed, overwhelmed or in need of someone to talk to, please don't hesitate to contact 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

So the question becomes, could these be worded better? How would we word it in our guidelines? Or do you have a completely different suggestion?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Re: Proposed new guideline - Content Warnings

I think this look great!! The wording is really clear, I don't think you need to change anything Smiley Happy 

I think this is a fantastic idea!

Content warnings are a fantastic idea - the wording to go at the start of the post sounds very clear to me! All of our RO members deserve to feel safe on the forums.

yes this sounds really good!

Glad to read that you all agree on the wording, but how would we add it into our guidelines?

@Autumn23 @peppermintpeony @khaleesi_18 @May_

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Yano how at the top of the page it says a description of what this topic f threads are about, put a disclaimer about the content warnings there. Do you know where im talking about. i have a screen shot ......PNG

@stonepixie I think what you've written above is great. My only comment is that KHL should be expanded to KidsHelpline because there may be some newbies to the site who don't know yet that that's what KHL stands for.
Highlighted

@stonepixie This sounds like a highly useful change. And I agree with @StarLord - expanding KHL might be a little clearer for those for aren't familiar with the terminology/abbreviations.

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

I think this is a great idea! Smiley Happy But I definitely agree with the previous suggestions about expanding KHL to the full name since I had to pause for a minute to think what that meant before I figured it out