cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Reconciliation Week - Art

We are about half way through Reconciliation Week!
For those of you who might not be sure what it's all about, its a time for all Australians to learn about the histories, cultures, and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander peoples, and to promote better relationships and understanding. 

This means remembering and learning the true history of Australia, celebrating contributions to music and film from the Aboriginal peoples - as we are over here, and sharing and respecting Indigenous Art. 

This thread was suggested by @j95 as a place to share and appreciate art. 

I really love this piece by Betty Kuntiwa Pumani, titled Antara 

Pumani_SID68687_2560px.jpg.482x605_q85.jpg

It is currently at the NSW Art Gallery in the Wynne Prize Exhibition

The prize is dominated by incredible pieces from Aboriginal artists - go check it out here 

Re: Reconciliation Week - Art

Wow that is sooo cool thanks for sharing and starting the thread @gina-RO I am about to share some of my favourite pieces too
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

No worries @j95 - yeah its awesome hey! 

Did you see all the other cool pieces on the NSW Art Gallery  Wynne Prize website? So cool !!

Excited to see what you share Smiley Very Happy

This is so cool I just found it on the internet then DD973F13-6193-4BAD-A2AE-73761923053E.jpeg

woah! That's incredible. Could you share the link, or the name of the artist if you've got it?

Wow @gina-RO in January when I went to the NT too see my family I got to do some wood carvings and some dot paintings

It was in this article - lots of fantastic art in there http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-12/indigenous-artists-express-freedom-from-behind-bars/7586822...

For those interested in interpreting more about the art you see can find the meaning behind different symbols on the internet there is a few charts, I have found that it varies slightly sometimes depending on who or where though

@j95 how incredible to go and learn those skills in the NT. Really special. 

That article you've shared is amazing!! The art is made by people in prison! wow. 

Hey pretty cool hey took me a long time but finally made it up there and I learnt so much @gina-RO