cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Discussion: Recovery!

Special Discussion: Recovery!

To celebrate Mental Health Month we wanted to bring a special discussion on Recovery to the community!

This community holds the stories, experiences and recovery journeys of over 10,000 members, and this month we will be building on the courage and strengths each person brings to this community to build a resource that can support all readers and members to understand and build on their personal recovery journeys! 

Every week in October 2019 we will be posting a different activity on the topic of recovery to explore:

• What recovery is and why is it important
  • What recovery looks like for you
  • Recovery planning 

Check out our community activities calendar for November 2019 here
Highlighted

Re: Special Discussion: Recovery!

Part 1: What is recovery and why is it important?

Recovery is individual journey of personal growth that looks, sounds and feels different for everyone. When experiencing a period of mental distress or tough times, it can be easy to lose sight of hope and as a result we can forget that it’s possible to recover. We may hear words associated with recovery such as hope, choice, empowerment, wellbeing, support, identity, connection and meaning.

Dan Harnden GIF

We all go through unique experiences in life that cause us to feel vulnerable and sometimes we learn behaviours and form beliefs about who we are as a result. For some recovery looks like unlearning those beliefs, for others it’s being able to get out of bed and face the day. 

Recovery isn’t about being perfect or never having an episode of depression, anxiety or mental distress ever again. It’s about knowing yourself, your triggers and how to live a fulfilling life despite the challenges you’re facing. Recovery isn’t a step by step process - sometimes it will feel like you’re taking two steps forward and one back. That is completely normal and okay!

Now we want to hear what recovery means to you!

ACTIVITY: 

1. What does recovery mean to you?  

2. Is there a gif or image that represents your understanding or experience of recovery?

Check out our community activities calendar for November 2019 here

Hi @Jess1-RO  thanks for the tag.

1. What does recovery mean to you?  recovery to me is when after a difficult time we come back fighting stronger. Recovery to me isn't a bout where you are it's about where you have been and where your going. When I whent and still am going threw recovery I find things in me that dissapered a long time ago like the joyous laugh I used to do when I am exited I only recently found it again. I have been going threw recovery for a few years now due to my self harm and I find having somebody by my side just in a way supporting me and letting me know I'm not alone has kinda kept me on the recovery path. If that makes any sense. Because recovery isn't always easy, sometimes recovery means relapses but it didn't mean your a failure in any way, as long as you try to recover and pick yourself up I suppose.

2. Is there a gif or image that represents your understanding or experience of recovery

3dbf31b31917c3547f2ebea9176e4110-dchkos4.jpg

123.jpg

Ok so the first picture is by an artist called destiny blue. And it's called fight for your stripes, which means to me every experience will change you in good and bad ways. You just got to find the right angle to look at it. And the second picture is a quote. That I think speak for itself a lot of beautiful things bloom in the darkness. I hope I did this right and I'm sorry if I didn't. 

@Jess1-RO Thank you for this Smiley Happy

Recovery, to me, means a never-ending process that is part of living life. While trauma and tragedy do exist and is something we have experienced both individually and collectively, so does healing and growth exist. When situations bring about anger, stress, sadness, recovery involves taking the steps and courage to journey through testing situations and coming out with a renewed sense of empowerment and perseverance. Recover is not a linear process, but rather a shared journey with others that are loved and supportive towards each other and can bring out the best in others. As there is a quote I have heard of before: “We are people, not islands”. Although I cannot remember who has said it. Much like how I have been afraid of isolation most of my life, but with others challenging me and supporting me to grow and learn new ideas and people, I found myself relieved, more hopeful, and more determined to tackle whatever life can throw at me.

1. Is there a gif or image that represents your understanding or experience of recovery?

xeno-the-human-connection-e1471597077141.jpgRecovery, through healing and support.

This image to me represents that recovery, as a practice, is not isolated. That in recovery, it is okay to admit when things are dark and cause anxiety and feeling like on is alone to fend for themselves. But I don't think anyone is ever truly alone. There are still people in life that are willing to support one another. And that connection is what keeps negativity at bay, and promotes healing recovery. Hope this gives somebody reassurance, a new meaning and appreciation, and more confidence about their lives and their ability to tackle life challenges in small steps Smiley Happy.  

What does recovery mean to you?
For me, recovery is an ongoing process. It's not a single action. There are lots of different stages and steps to it and it's often not a linear journey. I believe you have to want to recover before you can actually recover.
Recovery can have a lot of ups and downs. Having a relapse or a bad day from time to time doesn't necessarily mean that you're getting worse or have stopped recovering. It can be very normal to have days where you feel like you've gone back to square one.
Sometimes, people can walk alongside you on the way, so recovery can be a learning process for everyone. Other times, I felt like I was on my own, but I just had to continue reaching out to people.

Is there a gif or image that represents your understanding or experience of recovery?
I can't pick just one, so here's a few:
Quotes-30-en

Here's a random picture of a rooftop because a rooftop has some significance to me. It's hard to explain, but I associate a lot of contemplation and happiness with a certain rooftop.
sunrise-2767328_960_720

When I believed in myself, it kind of felt like a fire ignited inside of me:
2014-10-03-fireheart

This quote is paraphrased, but I think about it a lot during my recovery because I found it so fitting:
095083cda2b46ae6019a232ba3ea1f25

Thank you for the tag @Jess1-RO!! Heart

Hope. I think it means embracing good days and bad days - there are always going to be both, no matter how long you've been on this journey for.

2. Is there a gif or image that represents your understanding or experience of recovery?

Demi Lovato has been important to my own recovery, so I had to pick this gif :

demi lovato recovery GIF

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Cheers for the tag @Jess1-RO 

Recovery means (at this point in time) being able to heal, though not necessarily cure (a topic for a different day), what was. For me, it's like repairing something as best as possible to the way it once was - it'll never be exactly the same as it was but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing. That experience of recovery is something you'd never have known if it wasn't for whatever put you in that situation in the first place, and you may feel even better than before. It's important to constantly have the expectation that recovery is almost never a one-trial learning experience - it usually just doesn't work after one day. Even when it feels like you're "back", recovery means preparing for those situations which can bring you right back to square one, which can really feel sucky since it gives a sense of zero progression. So the recognition of the journey and effort is more important than the end result and "recovery" itself.

Easy. My profile pic, which for me, represents that "feeling" of recovery.

I missed the tag @Jess1-RO.

I'm currently not in a good headspace, but maybe another time. Sorry.

thank you for the tag @Jess-RO

Recovery to me isn't straight forward. its about acknowledging those tiny improvements, continuing to strive for positive things but still accepting there will be bad days too. I don't think we actually 'recover' so to speak we just learn to manage, cope and to move forward as a way of living.

I don't quite have a picture but I often think of lotus flowers. they are so beautiful and yet they live in muddy murky water. Smiley Happy
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**