cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Special Discussion: Recovery!

Loving reading through the posts so far! Thank you to everyone who has posted their thoughts so far, the diversity in what recovery means to each person really illustrates the wholly personal nature of recovery journeys Heart 

@Maryhadalittlelamb I really loved your reflection of recovery that acknowledges both where you have been and where you are going- that personal growth and continual learning about yourself, your resilience and your ways of coping is so valuable! This was so powerful: "recovery isn't always easy, sometimes recovery means relapses but it didn't mean your a failure in any way" Heart 

@scared01 I have never seen the lotus flower analogy before and really love it as a representation of recovery- this is something that resonated for @Maryhadalittlelamb too Heart Recognising that recovery is the small things we do everyday is so important! Sometimes we wait for these big moments we can point to, but I completely agree with you it's more about how we live our lives and cope with the day to day Heart

@Milkninja222 this quote really spoke to me: "While trauma and tragedy do exist and is something we have experienced both individually and collectively, so does healing and growth exist." Beautiful words of hope that growth, healing and recovery do happen! It sounds like connection with others is a really big part of your journey, and something we see you role model for our forum members with every post Heart

Check out our community activities calendar for November 2019 here

I am hearing a lot of themes coming through each post too! I might make a word cloud to show some these themes Heart

@WheresMySquishy I think you touched on a really important point about the continuous nature of recovery really well here: "recovery is an ongoing process. It's not a single action. There are lots of different stages and steps to it and it's often not a linear journey." When we first hear about recovery, we often associate it with a goal you reach or finish line, but it is more than that- every day you take a step to cope and every stage is a win and an achievement! The journey evolves and changes as life, coping and situations evolve and change! 

@letitgo hope is so so important! Heart I also love how you have picked a gif of someone who has embodied hope and recovery for you; seeing our role models walking their own journey of recovery is a powerful reminder that we aren't alone Heart

@RevzZ I am hearing a strong focus on acceptance and healing Heart A couple of things you mentioned really resonated for me! The first around the idea that recovery is about re-building and healing, and that this is not something that will happen overnight. It takes time, it takes self compassion and it takes support Heart I also really loved this: "So the recognition of the journey and effort is more important than the end result and "recovery" itself." Heart

WordItOut-word-cloud-3955681.pngRecovery Discussion Word Cloud

Here is a word cloud of some of the key words and themes we have heard throughout this discussion so far! 

the lotus flower seems to be a pretty popular analogy @Jess1-RO

I find that when people think recovery it means they need to see progress in leaps and bounds or the things you try have an effect straight away but that's not often the case. we often forget to notice and praise ourselves on the small things even it it seems silly. nothing is silly when it comes to recovery.
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Part 2: What does recovery look like for you?

Last week we spoke about recovery, and how this journey looks different for each person. Many of you shared some really insightful comments about recovery, which were so uplifting to read.

This week we are going to dig a bit deeper to talk about recovery and its role in your life - this is a good time to reflect on your mental health journey but remember to take care of yourself if discussing this brings up any big feelings Heart  

growth GIF by Waywardteacup

To get us started, here is a video of Roxy’s personal recovery journey. 

We often hear from forum members that expectations of recovery and the reality of personal recovery are very different! The beauty of recovery is that different things work for different people and through sharing our unique experiences we can learn that recovery is totally possible.

There is a great resource by BeyondBlue here that goes into the stages of recovery and has some information on treatment for different mental health conditions. Give it a read if you’re interested! 

Discussion:

What was your expectation of recovery, and was the reality different?

Can you share a step you have taken towards recovery? 

What is one key thing you have learnt about yourself throughout your recovery journey?

Highlighted

Thanks for the tag @Jess1-RO It's taken me a bit to get to this, but here is Week 1's responses Smiley Happy

@Maryhadalittlelamb I love the images you chose! I looked up the artist and was looking through some of their pieces and looking at them is so powerful! Heart thank you for introducing me to an amazing artist!

1. What does recovery mean to you?

Reading through the posts I agree with @Milkninja222 and @WheresMySquishy about recovery being ongoing, a process and definitely not linear.

In terms of recovery and the ongoing process, I think it's important to look at the big picture of things, not just one day or one moment in a day. Some days will be hard, and others will be better, but remembering that one day doesn't mean you are back to square one or no longer recovery as @WheresMySquishy mentioned. I also think a big part of recovery is remembering that recovery is unique to you. Your recovery won't match someone else's, and that is okay! 

2. Is there a gif or image that represents your understanding or experience of recovery?

I don't really have an image or gif for my personal experience. But recovery being self-paced and individual has been represented by one artist I really like The Latest Kate, who does little drawings with relatable or inspiring quotes/sayings on them. They are all just so adorable!

progress.jpg

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

I think that if you've been through trauma, it's always going to colour your expectations of the world. It's not really something you can just 'get over' as people told me to do, and as much as I tried to avoid it, it was always there. One of my psychologists said that my past will always be a part of me, but it will get smaller over time. So for me, it was not so much fighting against it or trying to alter my perception of it, but learning to accept what had happened and finding strategies to help with the symptoms. I may as well just embrace it because I can't change what happened.

Recently, I have volunteered in a few roles which require me to support other people. I have been able to draw on my experiences to help others, which has been quite cathartic for me. Volunteering also makes me happy and has provided me with a sense of purpose.

What is one key thing you have learnt about yourself throughout your recovery journey?
I've learned a lot of things about myself over the years, and I'm still discovering different aspects of myself. If I had to list just one thing, it would probably be that I am capable to pull through difficult times and bounce back again. I was always resilient, but I was lacking in self-confidence and self-compassion and didn't see my strengths at the time.

@WheresMySquishy  I love this little gem of wisdom you shared! Thank you for opening up about your recovery journey Heart 

@WheresMySquishy wrote:

One of my psychologists said that my past will always be a part of me, but it will get smaller over time. So for me, it was not so much fighting against it or trying to alter my perception of it, but learning to accept what had happened and finding strategies to help with the symptoms.

1. What does recovery mean to you?  

Recovery means that I'm practising self-care and in good habits. It also means that I know where my supports are when I need them. It's not "cured" but that I'm feeling more in control of my mental health and more aware of any triggers.

2. Is there a gif or image that represents your understanding or experience of recovery?
Image result for self-care gif

I think I expected myself to be "cured" or that I wouldn't feel anxious or depressed again. The reality is that I still have my ups and downs, but the downs aren't so low any more, and I have tools to help myself.

Getting a mental health plan and working with a psychologist has helped me greatly with my recovery.

I have learnt that I am a lot stronger and more resilient than I thought I was. I feel like I can do anything because I've made it through pretty tough times!