cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Special Discussion: Recovery!

@MisoBear  That's so true. I think that everyone feels anxious or depressed from time to time, and that's normal. But it's no good to be feeling like that all the time, or having feelings that get in the way of life.
I'm glad that some things have helped you! Smiley Happy

Part 3: Planning for Recovery

School College GIF by SoulPancake

Over the past two weeks we have spoken about recovery and what it means to our community. We have identified some important themes of recovery - hope, perseverance and support. We have looked at our expectations of recovery and what we have learnt about ourselves. 

We want to say how impressed, inspired and proud we are of you all. Sharing your personal stories gives hope to those of us who are finding it hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It also takes enormous amounts of courage to tell your story Heart 

Something a lot of you raised was that recovery is not a linear process and we completely agree. What we’d like to do this week is unpack how to plan for recovery - this is a good activity for anyone who has embarked on their recovery journey or for those of you who haven’t  thought about a plan. 

There’s a few key areas to look at when planning for recovery: 

• Take some time to reflect and create some achievable goals. You could consider things like - treatment plans, medication, therapy and general health. 
  • Establish a support network. Tell friends, family, teachers, mentors, professionals about the goals you have made and ask if they can follow up with you or accompany you to appointments. 
  • Plan daily activities that support your goals. These activities should be based off your energy levels - maybe even make a list of different activities you can do on low/high energy days.
  • If you’re having a good day - express it! Even if it’s to yourself. Acknowledge that your hard work is paying off. Name all the positive emotions you’re feeling, take note of how you came to feel that way. 
  • Identify relapse triggers and early warning signs that your mental well being is starting to decline. The sooner we pick up on it the better. 
  • Create a crisis plan for if things escalate. This plan could include things like: arranging a trusted person to be with if you don’t feel at risk of harm, a safe house you are welcome to stay at if you need company/change of environment, having a list of crisis services available to you. 

Discussion: 

What is something you can do to start your recovery journey? 

What might you find challenging about planning for recovery? 

Highlighted

- Acknowledge what you want to change. It could be particular symptoms, a habit, medication use, a lifestyle thing, etc.
- Ask someone you trust for help.

- Talk to your GP.
- I personally found it helpful to prepare timelines of my symptoms ahead of appointments, especially when bringing up new symptoms. It is also a good idea to list the medications that you are currently taking because healthcare professionals usually ask this at first.
- I have also found it helpful to keep track of what the professional said and which treatments I am doing.

- Knowing where to start and which professional to see.
- I sometimes get anxious about particular appointments. I often wonder, 'What if the doctor thinks that I am malingering?' or 'What if they think I am not following my treatment plan?'
- Preparing for disappointments such as treatment not working.
- Keeping track of all of the information you can be provided with, especially if you have a team of people supporting you. It can be really overwhelming, especially at first.

1. What does recovery mean to you?  

In my opinion, recovery is a really subjective term, just like we as individuals have personal and unique struggles. Recovery generally describes the rebuilding of the self following adversity, and the inner drive which fuels us to persevere and pursue our goals relentlessly despite obstacles. Recovery to me is not about restoring myself to my original state, because struggles or traumas truly do change you forever. Instead, recovery is about accepting these changes and rediscovering and accepting yourself in the midst of difficulty.

Throughout this journey, you will find that you are stronger and more capable than you ever thought, as it is this strength which has carried you safely to shore. Remember that your struggles have made you a survivor, and even if your battle has not yet ended, know that you are still the victor, because every day you are fighting for yourself Smiley Happy 

2. Is there a gif or image that represents your understanding or experience of recovery?

Image result for gif of adversity"

Part 2: What does recovery look like for you?

What was your expectation of recovery, and was the reality different?

For a long time recovery felt abstract and unattainable. However, in reality, it's not totally abstract - it can be as simple as looking after yourself and nurturing yourself so you feel better. I also know that recovery is attainable! It's not a destination that you can go "I've hit recovery I'm good now." But more of a journey through life and a process of doing what you need - mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Can you share a step you have taken towards recovery? 

(I've rewritten this several times)

Persuing with talk therapy with my psychologist. When I first met her I struggled to look at her or even speak! Today I can manage both in session. Sometimes it's hard, eg when the topic is raw or very difficult for me. But I have built a strong relationship with her that one way or another I can share my true thoughts/feelings and not feel too scared anymore.

It wasn't easy - the process took me a while, but the day I got through my first session without relying on something prewritten to give to her to read, it made me smile - I saw and experienced a success in recovery that I thought would never happen and it just made me feel good Smiley Happy

What is one key thing you have learnt about yourself throughout your recovery journey?

I've learned so much about myself during my recovery thus far. I don't think I could narrow it down to just one thing Smiley Tongue

Part 3: Planning for Recovery

Reach out to someone. Even if you're reading this and haven't signed up to the forums yet, and are feeling incredibly scared; I want you to know there is someone out there who will listen to you and want to help you Heart  My first step was signing up to these forums and from there over the years the members have helped me through various tough times and really helped me kickstart my recovery.

Personally I find the whole aspect of planning for recovery daunting and challenging. There are so many parts and so many different opinions etc.

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

That was amazing!!