cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Discussion: Sleep Awareness Week

It’s Sleep Awareness Week! 

tired sleep GIF

We touched on this very important topic a couple of weeks ago but we’d like to revisit it and keep the conversation going. For anyone who missed it you’ll be able to read through the Weekly Wellbeing discussion about sleep hygiene here

So, what is Sleep Awareness Week? 

The Sleep Health Foundation is an Australian organisation that dedicate a week each year to raise awareness around the importance of good sleep. Each year they have a theme to address and this years is.. 

“Sleep on it - memory and problem solving” 

Have you ever been really stuck on how to fix an issue? It could be for an assignment at school or perhaps you’re not sure how to resolve a fight with a friend. And then you have a glorious, restful sleep; wake up and you got the answer! 

That’s the power of sleep. It is well known that sleep plays an important role in our ability to learn, retain and process information. Through research we also know that inadequate sleep can affect our moods, energy levels and ability to make judgements. You can imagine how important it is for us to get a good night's rest.

In saying all this, it's important to recognise that good sleep is something we should strive for but isn’t always easy to do. This can be for many reasons… 

• Dietary changes/habits 
  • Stress and/or pain levels
  • Living arrangements 

A few weeks ago we shared our tips for good sleep hygiene. This time we'd like to to ask you all.. 

Activity: 

What times do you think it's especially important to implement good sleep hygiene? 

What have you noticed you can do better after a good nights sleep? 

Looking forward to reading your responses Heart

If you'd like to know more about Sleep Awareness Week and the work that The Sleep Health Foundation do click here

Re: Special Discussion: Sleep Awareness Week

What times do you think it's especially important to implement good sleep hygiene?
I think it's especially important to implement good sleep hygiene before exams, trips and changes in schedule. Getting a good night's sleep can also help you feel better more quickly if you're going through a difficult time. Good sleep hygiene is also important for a lot of people with chronic illness.

I find that I can concentrate better and don't get distracted as easily after I've had a good night's sleep. Sleep helps me memorise things better. I think that I'm also more talkative and communicative if I've slept well. I feel like my vision is also better if I've slept well, although this could be due to the type of eye problems I have.

Love this! Sleep is so important!

For me at the moment, I find that I need good sleep hygiene on the nights before work. If I don't sleep well I struggle along for the whole day! It can be hard to get in to the routine of a good night sleep so I try to implement good sleep hygiene every night.

I have so much more energy. I find it so much easier to get the motivation going to get out of bed and workout. I also feel less lethargic at work, especially when the afternoon hits! My concentration is also way better after a good night sleep.

Sleep Hygeine is definently important all the time but i guess there are more times when its more important such as exam times, long trips/drives, increased workloads or times when life is abit tougher.

I can notice a difference however i am a little unusual (as said by the drs ive seen) in that often i perform better when i havent had alot of sleep. if ive had a few rough nights and then i sleep really well i actually feel more tired then lack of sleep and often i struggle through the day with tiredness.
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

There have been some great tips shared already but thought I would add some of my own Smiley Very Happy

For me when I have a lot on with work, uni and sport is really important for me to practice good sleep hygiene. I find if I don't look after my sleep then things start to feel pretty overwhelming really quick. 

Honestly I notice everything is better, I am less annoyed and more alert and productive. This weekend was great example. I had poor sleep on Friday night and struggled at uni on Saturday I couldn't participate in class discussion or retain information.  On Saturday I had a great sleep and Bam I was like a super hero in class on Sunday, not just participating but providing support to other students. Proof of the power of sleep Heart

@happycat45 @not-an-otter @recharging_introvert @LovesFood @ecla34  interested to hear your thoughts?

@Claire-RO 
Definitely similar to you there!

If i'm busy or getting run down, then sleep's a real game changer for how well i perform/ how i feel.

Getting a good night sleep is also so helpful when I need to consolidate information, especially when i'm trying to memorise things like vocab or oral presentations. Getting enough sleep makes such a difference! Smiley Very Happy

Also makes me less likely to fall asleep on the train and nearly miss my stop! Smiley LOL Smiley Wink

Highlighted

Yes, very good points!

For me, implementing good sleep hygiene becomes super important around exam time. It's so tempting to stay up late studying but if you've already been awake for more than 15 hours your brain really doesn't do a good job of retaining information. And like @ecla34  said, it's also important in consolidating your memories and making sure you learn the info you're studying! 

I think it's always very obvious how much more productive you are after a good nights sleep. I know if I've gone out late on the weekend the next day can be pretty hard, not only due to a potential hangover but because I haven't had much sleep, and the fact that drinking can also increase your sleep awakenings in the second half of the night, meaning the sleep you do get is pretty crappy. 

@recharging_introvert that's really interesting info about sleep awakenings! something to remember Smiley Happy

(also: puppy! Heart Heart Heart)