cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanna chat about Gender?

Hey guys!

If you live without daylight savings as it should be, then it's only 9 o'clock and much too early to go to bed. Smiley Tongue After tonight's session. I am very interested to continue procrastinating and what better way to procrastinate then chatting about something brain-provoking! Tonight's GR session had a bit of a convo around gender roles so let's expand! If you want to. Or you can go to sleep and I'll probably end up talking to myself but no matter. I am super interested in not writing this assignment and talking about gender roles. 

Re: Wanna chat about Gender?

Let's start with a question!

How would you define Gender and Gender Roles?

Gender is a personal decision that can be based on a choice made at birth based on the sex, biological body stuff, or a choice made at any age at any time. The types of genders out there are extensive and not everyone fits into them. It's a purely personal choice, whether they want to change or stick with the gender they were given. Neither is wrong as some people are happy with the gender they have, some people might not even understand the different between sex and gender, but that's not a bad thing. It becomes bad when someone who doesn't understand is rude or disrespectful to someone who has made the choice to change. A lack of understanding, but still being respectful of the decision is alright because gender is a difficult thing for some people to grasp. I have forgotten what exactly I was talking about but continuing on what I hope was the strand of thought about how many different genders there are, not all of them have their own roles. Segway to Gender Roles! Smiley Tongue
Gender roles are mostly directed towards male and female, boy and girl, man and woman and so on or whatever. Where the male is the "man" and the female is the "woman". The woman, the stay at home mum, scared of bugs, love of shopping. The man, who does all the work, brings in the money, is always the one to ask the girl out, doesn't cry. Those kinds of things are hard set into our society it makes it difficult for people such as transgender to transition and harder for others to understand their choice.

I actually did end up starting on my pharmacology stuff after last night's GR. Go me! I've done a bit more this morning so now it's time to procrastinate again Smiley Tongue

How would you define Gender and Gender Roles?

This is proving more difficult to answer than I thought. Gender is a weird construct. I'd say it's related to your identity and how you express yourself. In most cases it matches your biological sex (which is much easier to define), but in some cases there's a mismatch in the brain and your identity doesn't match your body. I don't think we're born with a particular gender identity even though we're all assigned one from birth - it's something that develops as we get older and start to figure out who we are as a person.

As for gender roles, they relate to the particular expectations society has of you because of your gender. They can vary quite a bit between and within cultures and some have more strictly-defined gender roles than others. They change over time too - 50 years ago there was greater expectation for women not to work once they marry/have children and men were expected to be much more emotionally stoic, for example.

What does everyone else think? Smiley Happy

@lokifish @N1ghtW1ng i moved this to Special discusions because i think it's awesome and I want to make sure people notice it! Hope that's coool !

P,s if you came here looking for the live chat that's happening right now, you're close but you missed by a few threads!

Here's where you need to go. 

@lokifish I like where you're going but why don't you think we're born with a particular gender identity? I think I get what you mean, but still. While we are assigned one at birth, because labels make things easier, and then the person can choose to develop things further or stick with what they have because that fits for them.

@N1ghtW1ng I think your identity is something you create for yourself - it can't be something others thrust upon you. The only analogy I can think of (not sure it's a great one) is that it's like how parents raise their children to be Muslim, Christian, atheist etc. Just because they've had that religious label attached to them by their parents doesn't mean that's their identity - the kid will form their own spiritual/religious identity as they get older and know themselves better.

@lokifish I see what you mean. How would you describe the gender you were given at birth? Religion is also the only analogy I can think of too, that and sexuality.

Based on the way I've seen gender identity described, I don't think people are assigned a gender identity at birth either. Just a gender label.

I guess I'd see it kind of like personality - a baby starts off with only a few personal traits about them that they can express to other people, then as they get older they develop a more in depth personality. No one "gives" them the personality, although other people can observe and try to identify someone else's personaility, and other people can also try to shape the personality in ways that suit their agendas/beliefs.

It's sort of a more complex version of picking a favourite of anything. No one gives a child a favourite colour, but people can try to steer the kid toward particular colours or try to guess what the favourite colour is. No one assigns a child a favourite food, but again people can try to influence what food they like or make judgement calls on what they think the favourite food is. But other people can get it wrong when they don't have all the information. For example someone might think my favourite food is cheese sandwiches if they always see me with a cheese sandwich for every lunch at school... Except there's a lot of other things that could influence what's in my lunchbox. Unless I've thought about it for long enough to pick a favourite, and they've asked me what my favourite food is, they're still at risk of making a wrong guess.

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________