cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why don't we ever talk about racism

Yeah, racist-not-racist jokes are hard @missep - some of them are fine and blatantly poke fun at the idea of being racist, but it's a very fine line and sometimes it's difficult to tell whether they're just told poorly or represent the speaker's actual views. I've heard the thing to do is to not laugh and then ask why the joke is funny so that they have to confront the logic behind it, but I've yet to have the opportunity since learning that technique...

Mostly I just hear those little comments from people you'd never peg as racist, or who'd never actually talk down to someone about race, but have those linguistic quirks or political views - like saying 'Chinamen' or getting upset about too many immigrants in whichever country they're from - both which are difficult to confront because even with the more overt racism in the former, people don't always respond well to criticism or will ignore anything without good evidence, but also aren't likely to stick around while you google facts or sputter incoherently (I have experience with this, at least).

Still, even if you can't 'awaken' someone to being more aware of how hurtful their views are - and it's hard to deal with the fact that that's just not always going to be possible - it's worth trying to stand up for your principles even when you don't belong to the race in question, and I have respect for people who do. Not responding in a way which could possibly escalate the situation is its own way of fighting back, and I'm glad to hear that the man was obviously aware of the people around him @Birdeye - with all this talk I just did on confrontation: safety first, people.

I think that it is a very individual topic to discuss it like that.

There's one kid I know who's really racist and every time I try to point it out to him he'll just make fun of the fact that I stutter while doing so instead of actually admitting that he's racist. He makes fun of my best mate and calls him the n word and stuff like that because his mum's south African. He brings it up at every opportunity even though it's really personal to him. I don't experience racism personally because I don't really tell anyone about my heritage besides the fact that I've got Jewish and German in me