cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development (21 May)

Hi everyone!

I just read that today is the World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development, which I'd never heard of before.
I love learning about new and different cultures. At the nursing home I volunteer at, we have a world map on display where residents record where they are from. One of my favourite memories with my late great uncle was going to a festival celebrating our culture together when he was in Australia.

It makes me sad that so many cultural events and gatherings have been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I'd love for this thread to be a place where we can share our cultural traditions and celebrate the diversity of all our members! Smiley Happy

giphy

giphy

Highlighted

Re: World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development (21 May)

Here are some relevant resources:
Some ways to celebrate this day.  The ones that involve going to places could be substituted with online museum tours or streaming international films.
Ways to experience different cultures from home. 
ReachOut article about understanding a different culture. 

Highlighted

Hey @WheresMySquishy thanks so much for sharing this. I didn't actually know this was an international day! One of my passions is learning about different cultures as well as my own. 

It makes me sad as well to know that so many events have cancelled but it's also good to know that there are so many ways of celebrating culture at home. To take part in this day I'm going to watch a film about my culture it's called Latcho Drom and it shows the journey of Romani people from Northern Indian into Europe. 

Thanks again for sharing and looking forward to learning about other cultures here Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Great thread @WheresMySquishy 

Cultural events are so much fun and it really is a shame that they've been cancelled this year.

There's this really good website called cultural atlas where you can click on different countries and learn about their culture. I thought it would be relevant to share here, and a good way for us to learn about/celebrate other cultures during this time.

Heart

Highlighted

What a useful link @Maddy-RO!

We ended up celebrating this day by ordering some foods from other cultures. Smiley Happy I don't normally eat that sort of food but it was really nice.