cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

Who rated this post

Janine-RO
Star contributor

@Lost_Space_Explorer5  @MB95  honestly, the two of you are so bloody wise! I was reading this whole thread and gosh, it covers a lot - I won't try and respond to everything here!

I think that discussion around what type of therapy is helpful at different times is such an interesting one. @MB95  I am also wondering if it's possible that in the midst of all of the distressing stuff that happened a few weeks ago, that maybe something was spoken about with your psych that has made them think that you don't want to hear from them? I may be totally wrong here, but just thought I would put it out there as a plausible explanation, because I can completely understand why you'd be feeling pretty let down and abandoned 😞 

I also wanted to link to a great piece that's just been published, @GuestPsychologist1  Rashida wrote it for ReachOut, and she does a really clever deep dive into 4 different types of therapy: CBT, ACT, DBT and family systems therapy, what different modalities can be used for, and how they work, and I found it super interesting! It's stuff I did learn about in uni, but i love the way she's done a bit of a deep dive into how these different approaches can be useful in different situations. 

And as you'd both know, there's a heap of different approaches not outlined there- like trauma based stuff as you've discussed, psychotherapy, and different approaches used by counsellors/ social workers etc. 

My take away from reading her piece was that different approaches might work for us at different stages of our lives- there is no gold standard, one size fits all modality. It's really nuanced and skilled, and also the therapeutic relationship/alliance is a HUGE part of any successful therapy. That part is the art, I reckon. And that's why people study for years and years to do this work, and why some of the best clinicians I've ever met have come to the field as a second, or even third, career. 

@MB95  I suppose I want to empower you to do what's right for you- but also very gently encourage you to think about what professional supports could help you once uni's over with in a few weeks. Because it's sometimes really tempting to try and handle all of our problems alone, or bury that shit really deep down... but I am sensing that on some level, you may also want to get some help, when the time's right.

You Got This Coming Out GIF by Fox Fisher

Check out our community activities calendar here
Who rated this post