cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

Who rated this post

I feel for you @Orchid_Ostrich ! It took me a really long time to start to open up about my depression due to not trusting people. I think I was just so confused/scared/lost/overwhelmed, I don't know. People tell you to reach out for help, but it can feel impossible to actually do. But when you do it, it's so worthwhile.

With the asking for a new counsellor in a nice way... what's more important? Getting much needed help for your mental health? Or suffering in silence so you don't offend one person?

Your counsellor is a professional. They should be able to deal with it if you don't want to see them. But at the same time, I totally understand not wanting to offend them!

I think just try not saying too much. It's not really anyone's business. All they need to know is that you want to talk to someone different. If they ask why, and them knowing why is essential to this actually happening, then just give them a diplomatic, maybe slightly vague answer like... 'I think I might feel more comfortable talking to someone else.' If you make the statement about yourself, instead of the counsellor, then surely you can't be offending anyone?

If you were completely honest about why you wanted to change, that wouldn't be such a bad thing, even if your counsellor was offended. They shouldn't be telling your teacher everything. They could even be doing this for other students. This is a chance for them/the school to get feedback and to improve. You speaking out could help someone else.

All the best! 💕

Who rated this post